What would you cover a porch ceiling with?

Carpenters have suggested t1-11, James Hardie panels and pine plybead panels which are 4x8 sheets, about a quarter inch thick, with the look of bead board. Tongue and groove is too expensive, so I have to go with something that won't look as good. All are OK looking as far as I'm concerned, so my decision will be based on which will perform best in a porch ceiling application.

Porch is L shaped with one section 5 feet deep 16 feet wide, which will have the sheets of whatever is used running parallel to 5 foot "dummy" 16 inch OC joists, which are for appearance only, not structural. Should nailer boards be inserted between the "joists" to provid perpendicular surfaces to nail to, or will the 16 inch intervals be sufficient for sections that will only be 5 feet long?

Reply to
r2kay

Why do you want to cover it? IMHO, open-frame is best in that application- no dead spaces to hide leaks and rot, or provide housing for animals. Promotes a cooler porch, since no super-heated dead space to act as a radiator till midnight. And you can even hang an electric fan, if there is enough headroom.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

The 16 inch centers should be fine for whatever you use. Something slightly cheaper than t and g... I've used just plain cedar 1x6 or 1x8 boards with the rough hewn side showing, there will be gaps but it's all part of the look. Cedar wont rot (easily) and bugs hate it.

I'm presuming you dont want it open because of those joists, so just pull off the joists and leave it open, rent a sprayer and stain it with a latex stain.

Reply to
RickH

I like the idea of keeping it open, but to make it look a little more formal, I used tongue and groove on the porch at my old house. It was much smaller, but I like the appearance. I put soffit vent in as well, to provide air circulation. I am currently debating what kind of soffit to use on my new house.

Reply to
celticsoc

If it goes well with the look of the house, vinyl or aluminum soffit panels are fine. They are available solid or perforated. Here is a view of the corner of my porch, it doesn't show a lot, but you can get the idea.

DT

I like the answer of the other poster; don't cover it at all, best ventilation, less chance of mildew/mold, varmints.

Reply to
Phisherman