What was the longest square nail sold in the 1800s?

For you old timers who were born in the 1800s.....

What was the longest square nail sold in the 1800s? (Actually 1800's into 1910). Several websites show pictures and explain how they were originally hand forged, then machine cut. One site said during remodeling they found them up to 4" long.

Anyhow, while doing some demolition of a very old building, I came across a 5" square nail. The wood was rotted so I could easily remove the nail. It's got some rust, but not really that much. The nail is very heavy. I saved it because it's quite unique. The upper part is actually rounded somewhat.

Anyhow, this is a 5 incher, I wonder if they were made any longer? (i'm watching for bigger ones as I rip the boards apart)

By the way, several websites said that square nails hold 4 times better than the round (wire nails) sold today. Just goes to show that the old ways were better....

Reply to
tangerine3

They'd be hand-made to whatever length an application needed, I expect. I've seen them a foot in length and more (& I possibly still have one in the 'random bits of metal' pile in the workshop, although it may have gone off to recycling)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Agree-- and since you mentioned a foot long on, I won't spend a lot of time trying to find my 8"[?] one in one of my 'random bits' piles.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

That's what I plan to do with mine. I wish I could find a 8" or 12".

I plan to use a magnet and suck all the nails out of the burn pile, where every few days parts of the demolished house are burned as it's torn down. The magnet will show me what nails are there, and I dont want a bunch of nails laying around on top of the ground either. I'll save the good looking ones and send the rest to the scrap yard.

So far the 5" is the biggest. I dont have a scale, but I guess it weighs 2 to 3 oz. Maybe I'll take it to the post office some day to weigh it.

Reply to
tangerine3