What to do with these stairs?

Hi,

I think I have unsual stairs in that each tread does not extend "inward" past the one above, resulting in something like this:

There was previously an artificial extention made of crappy pine which I removed when I had just removed the carpet.

At this point I'm not sure whether:

  1. To replace the tread brackets to extend down to the tread bracket below.
  2. To cosmetically fix (wood putty, paint) the part that was previously occupied by the artificial extension.
  3. And this one is doubtful - to once again artificially extends the treads, this time doing a better job than the previous owner.

What's your opinion?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Reply to
aaronfude

Are you going to recarpet? Is there a reason you don't like the "artificial extensions"? Seems like lots less work to just replace them and recarpet.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Hi Tim,

No recarpenting. Getting the stairs refinished.

Thanks.

Reply to
aaronfude

In that case, what are the treads made out of? From the pic it doesn't look like a 'good' wood, but maybe it just looks that way.

Assuming you're not going to replace the treads, then I guess I'd either go with your option #1, or remove each tread, cut it back so that it no longer overhangs the stringer, then add a new 'extension' out of the same wood which is the width of the tread plus the extension.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer