What's this gizmo?

My rider mower (MTD) flooded, I mean -really- flooded with gas to the point that it was hydro locked. Obvious needle valve sticking. I had to dismantle 1/2 the hood to get at the carb. On the bottom of the float bowl is what seems to be some sort of relay. What is its function? Last time I worked on these things 1970s they didn't have all this safety and etc. stuff.

As an aside, the engineer who designed this thing would have had a tool box upside his head if he was present. 6 bolts to remove the side panel THREE diffeent sizes, THREE different types and all of them doing the same job. Same on the air shroud on the engine (removed to get at the plug). Four bolts, two standard, two torx for no reason I could see.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The engineer also sells tools? And aspirin?

Reply to
Mike Dobony

it's called an anti-afterfire solenoid, when you turn the ignition off the plunger blocks the main jet to prevent fuel from getting into the hot cylinder and combusting, and you are right about the bolts, just one of the reasons i didn't like the mtd line when i was a tech in that field. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

If you haven't already, you should change the oil as it likely has gasoline in it. Then install a cutoff valve in the fuel line to prevent it from happening again. My MTD did that several times before I put the cutoff in. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

If I remember the assembly instructions from the MtD I had a decade or more ago, it said that if any hardware was missing, buy it locally. Went on to say that parts were made in various factories all over the world and that is why somethign could be missing. Probably explains non-uniform hardware too.

Reply to
Art

On 3 May 2004 06:58:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Harry K) wrote (with possible editing):

FWLIW, MTD makes most lawn tractors today. I understand they just bought Troy Bilt. What a shame. Two mowers ago I had a Gilson, which was just a total piece of crap - absolutely no thought towards service. I finally gave up trying to keep it running, fixed it, sold it and bought a White, thinking it might be better. Turned out that, too, was made by MTD. Last year I broke down and bought a John Deere. What a difference. Smaller engine (18hp vs. 22hp), but cuts better, has far better traction, and is much easier to service. Granted it costs a bit more, but I think it's easily worth it.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

MTD owns:

Cub Cadet Troy Built Yard Man Ryobi Yard Machines Bolens White Outdoor McCulloch

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

Oh yeah. It was so bad that gas just gushed out of the plug hole when I pulled it. Oil has been drained and will be refilled -after- I put a drain extension on the engine like should have been done in the factory. Oil everywhere but can't blame the engineer. After all they did include a drain trough to allow the oil to run clear of the deck. Ah, but it seems they forgot you had to remove the damn plug before you could install the trough.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

My MTD won't die! The mower is falling apart but the B&S engine keeps going and going. 8+ years. Used to mow 5 acres. Has been to 3 houses with me and still runs great. I think I've changed oil in it 3 times? DIE, PLEASE DIE!!! I need a reason to buy a new one.

*CBHVAC* wrote:

Reply to
Jo

My favorite rider was a 4 wheel steering unit from Lowes made by a company called something like Nami or Normi. Had a dual cyclinder engine super smooth and quiet and as long as you kept the fittings greased worked great. Most people didn't take care of them and Lowes took a bunch back. But a friend liked mine more than his Deere.

Reply to
Art