What's involved in? 220 volt socket

here is one for you

On September 25, 1513 Balboa discovered the Pacific Ocean.

The Australians, who had been facing inland for millenia, turned around in surprise, and fished.

On that day, the Japanese, who had been facing inland for millenia, turned around and said: I'll be damned, a lake!

On that day, the Native Americans who had been camped on its shores, Turned around and said: Funny we never looked in that direction before, things have been a bit hectic lately.

History lessons were made. Reminds me of the time in 1492 when, the Bahamians discovered, Columbus in their midst, Turned around and told each other: We're f***ed.

Reply to
philo

Though we have a gas range, there used to be an electric one and it is a

4 wire outlet.

The two hots and neutral are all # 8 plus a safety ground that looks like #14, I should have looked first before I said I never saw such a setup.

Reply to
philo

Yes.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Most states and municipalities follow the NEC, with some exceptions. I doubt requiring a 4 wire connection for new construction 240V dryer, stoves, etc is one of them. And there are millions of 4 wire connections out there, the fact that you don't know that and instead are diverting off into

3 phase, means that you shouldn't be giving advice.

Go to any appliance manufacturer and read the install manuals and it will tell you that the 240V dryer, stove etc. should be hooked up to 4 w ires, if available. It's not unusual, it's the preferred, code compliant way today. If you have a cite for Wisconsin code that says otherwise, I'm sure we'd all like to see it.

Reply to
trader4

Well, maybe you didn't see it? I do that all the time. Stuff in my house, and I find it later.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, all I can say is that as soon as I find I am in error, I admit it.

Reply to
philo

That's rare, now days. When I'm in error, uh, ain't tellin.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When I was still working I found out that if I was wrong and admitted it at once, I never got in trouble. Many times people were too surprised to say much.

Reply to
philo

I've had a few similar experiences.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yep, you are right...an item such as an oven or drier would require a neutral as there are 115v controls, lights etc.

Reply to
philo

Lack of reading comprehension.

Reply to
dennisgauge

I give you credit for correcting the error of your ways. Many here won't admit they are ever wrong.

Reply to
trader4

Nothing said about 3 phase

Nope. Code today REQUIRES 4 wire - L1, L2, Neutral, and safety ground.

Reply to
clare

Standard equipment for new drier and electric range outlets.

Reply to
clare

Large majority of multi unit residential buildings are 120/208 3 phase - each unit only sees the single phase service.

Reply to
clare

I make plenty of mistakes, might as well fess up asap.

Reply to
philo

Actually 250.60 said the "grounded conductor" before 1996 so it was the neutral and with one exception (SE cable) it needed to be a white insulated wire. That is why you saw 10/3 romex. If the 10/3 had a ground, it was either connected to the box or simply cut off.

Reply to
gfretwell