What kind of welding rod to use

I want to weld some 2x4's together. I got a couple dozen 2x4 studs and all of them are about 6 inches too short. I figure I'll just weld

6 inch pieces to each one. But what kind of rod do I use on my welder? What amperage setting should I use?
Reply to
captainbob

try 6013's at 125 amps

ds549

Assuming that you are not a numbskull and are talking about metal studs...

Steel studs are made from very thin material 16ga steel, I believe. Use the thinnest rod you can obtain and the lowest setting on the welder. You will still burn through.

You need a MiG or a TiG to properly weld those studs without going insane.

Reply to
mkirsch1

on 10/21/2008 9:09 AM snipped-for-privacy@cityhall.com said the following:

First, you have to use thin wooden dowels in your welder. Toothpicks and wooden matches will also work. Wooden matches have the benefit of not having to use an igniter. The amperage depends upon the flash point of the wood used. Matches have a lower flash point than dowels or toothpicks.

Reply to
willshak

get 3/8" birch dowel rod. You'll need 300 amps though.

Steve Barker DLT

They're not metal studs, they're wood. Probably pine or fir.

Reply to
captainbob

If it's a MIG, just load a ball of twine on the spool. Any gas would be fine since it takes a while for wood to oxidize.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

You mean a stick welder; right?????

Therefore use a 'Glue stick'.

Reply to
terry

Just make dovetail ends, glue and clamp.

Reply to
Claude Hopper