What is inside an LED "starter"

I've got a few of them, myself. I'm pretty decent with a desoldering pump and desolder wick (can even make my own); recently ordered and experimented with fastchip (quikchip clone) and it's fantastic for quickly removing SMD as well as thru hole components. It's how I was able to drop those usb ports off that board so fast.

If you're using it to quickly remove multiple pin heat sensitive thru-port components, you'll have a bit of a mess left behind to clean up before you can install new components (if you plan to). It leaves behind a little solder in the holes and stuff. Nothing you can't remove easily enough though.

If you have no idea what I'm writing about, search youtube for quikchip or fastchip video demonstration. It's not difficult to use the stuff, but due to it's tendency to break easily, I'd suggest you acquire the stuff in rod form, not the little coil you have to gently uncoil to use. And be prepared to spend some cash. 4.5ft of fastchip in rod form is over $20 US. And that's without flux or anything else, just the alloy.

Reply to
Diesel