What Is a Furnace Draft Inducer Blower? I'll tell you what it is ...

Given a lower BTU output and a slower flame speed (slower combustion air induction speed) I am promoting more heat residency time inside the heat exchanger galley and a lower flue stack temperature. My blower fan is pushing the same CFM through the exchanger, so when taken together my heat extraction efficiency is going up. By how much, I don't know.

Isin't it common knowledge that oversized furnaces were normal a few decades ago?

Actually, it's throttled back right now, to at least half of full flow. That's my point - even given my current outdoor climate (10 to 15f min and 20 to 25f max outdoor temp) I'm getting enough BTU's to keep the house at 71 - 72F all day and all night. And even then, my furnace is not running at 100% duty cycle. Maybe only 65 - 75%.

To be honest, the burner setting I have now is the lowest that gives me a consistent and even flame pattern and acceptible ignition roll-out.

Fall and spring don't last long enough to warrant their own lower burner-output setting, which as I just mentioned I probably couldn't achieve anyways.

Yup.

Tell me what a 120,000 BTU input, 96,000 btu bonnet furnace is designed for. What size house.

Tell me where such a furnace ranks today in terms of size (small, medium, large, extra-large, etc).

First thing, I'm in Ontario (Canada).

Second thing, in order to get gov't rebates, you need to contract for a home efficienty test by an acredited tester who will evaluate your current situation (air leakage, current furnace type and efficiency, maybe a few other things) and he will do it again when your new furnace is installed, and then he signs off on the tests and then the gov't will send you money. I don't know if it's "federal" or "state" money (or both). I also don't know if the local gas utility will kick in any of their own money.

One of my co-workers had this done, so I'll ask him how much of a kick-back he's supposed to get.

You've also got to factor in rebates for the heating vs the cooling components as well. I wouldn't be interested in replacing my A/C system.

Reply to
Home Guy

One of the experts here would probably be better at guessing that number. But that's all it would be without doing a proper load calculation. It depends on a lot more than just size, ie how well the house is insulated, number of windows, location, etc. However, none of the contractors have actually done that. The most one of them did was to measure the house sq ft. I'm not too concerned with that, because I have the experience with the current furnace, which IMO is an even better starting point.

I can tell you that for my house here in coastal NJ, near NYC, I'm getting quotes of either 100K or 120K input, 95% efficiency, depending on the contractor. My own opinion, based on experience with the current furnace, is that 100K is the right size. For example, it's 18F outside and this morning, when recovering from overnight setback from 60 back to 70, it's going up about 5.5F per hour. Also in 16 years, even on the coldest days, it never is close to running all the time. Current is 150K,

26 years old, so guessing it's maybe 77% efficient at this point, when new it was probably 80%.

The gas furnaces I've looked at from various manufacturers product lines all top out at 105K to 120K, at least in the 95% efficiency series. Don't know about the 80%, etc. Two reasons for that. First, is obviously with higher eff, you get more heat out. Second is today for a house the size of mine they would put in two smaller HVAC system, one up, one down, which does a better job, allows more flexibility, etc.

Part of the rebate here, $900 from the state, requires a home eff test too, but it's free.

Yes, you may get them for one part, but not the other, or both, depending on what rebates are available and the particular system. One problem I was not aware of is that on large AC, ie 5 tons, it's apparently harder to make them high eff, with 14.5 SEER or similar being more typical, which can make that part harder to qualify for. Also, I think here in NJ, we probably have some of the best rebates. As I said, I can get $1200 rebated locally and another

30% Fed tax credit. For me, that makes it a very good deal.
Reply to
trader4

You would refuse your neighbors help in paying for the job?

Reply to
krw

There is a difference between a tax refund and a tax deduction or credit. The latter is money paid to you by your neighbors.

Reply to
krw

You pay less tax, everyone else pays more.

Certainly. They're paying part of your tax bill.

Tools are presumably used to make money, and pay more taxes.

Clueless.

Reply to
krw

Nope. There is no self-compensating mechanism in the tax law. One dollar taken out here doesn't mean another dollar is automatically taken from over there. You might have a (technical) point on the deficit except spending in the last 50 years has bore no relationship that I can see to revenue.

Nope, see above.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Find me the part of the tax code that is even remotely self compensating for these kinds of things. If it was true, we would only be in about the pickle we are today. There remains no mechanism where a dollar saved here is replaced by a dollar from someone else.

And if my aunt had balls she's be my uncle. Who can possibly enter government spending remaining constant into this conversation and expect to keep any credibility?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Certainly it does, whether the additional tax is paid this year or by our (grand)children. Expendatures certainly don't go down because a tax credit was given! Whether they be rebates for "efficient" cars, air conditioners, or "green energy", that is money taken from the taxpayers at large and given to an individual.

Yep, see above.

Reply to
krw

Your posts are impossible to follow.

Sorry.

Reply to
krw

Expenditures have always been independent of revenue. Again, there is no self-compensating mechanism here. Heck they don't pretend to "pay for things any more. A tax benefit to one person has no direct impact on tax increases for another. It makes the deficit go up, in many cases, but again, there is no discernable relationship between taxes and what is being spent (oh, only that were true)

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Nor do they go up if it isn't. To do this, is an underlying assumption that a certain amount of your income is the property of the government and if any is given to you it must be taken from someone else. The only thing that you owe the government is what the tax laws (including credits, etc) require you to pay. Expenditures are not (even with the conceit of "paying" for things, related to revenues and thus taxes.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Right, so if money is transferred from the whole to an individual, that money is *BY*DEFINITION* increasing the taxes on the whole.

Therefor, any "rebates" paid to you *ARE* being paid for by your neighbors, either now or later. It really is that simple.

Reply to
krw

Wrong. Your assumption is that money if free. All the government has to do is print it.

There is a difference between normal deductions and things like energy credits. Energy credits are a manipulation, by the government, in the free market by transferring money from the treasury to an individual. They really do matter.

Reply to
krw

Just don't come knocking at my door!

Reply to
krw

I call a Godwin.

Reply to
HeyBub

By yours, but not mine. We'll just have to leave it at that.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

My assumption was that you were talking about paying more taxes, which as I mentioned doesn't happen. Now, you are talking inflation which is a whole 'nother kettle of wax.

Nonsense. Deductions are manupulation, too. Look at the mortgage deduction for instance.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Funny, you never sounded like a Democrat before.

Reply to
krw

A tax is a tax, whether it's paid today or tomorrow.

That depends on the deduction, obviously. The mortgage deduction is similar, yes.

Reply to
krw

Nah a tax is a tax when it is a tax. Not when it is inflation, which can and have happened in high(er) tax environments too. All taxes have to come from Congress, inflation comes from the actions of the Fed (among others), and the reactions of the economy.

Find one that isn't a manipulation of some sort. Heck, the deduction by the employer of the healthcare insurance is the number 1 cause that we are in the current trouble there. Even the deduction for some some state taxes is to manipulate the tax code. THere is no earthly reason for the Feds to give deductions for state taxes. I'd have to spend more time than it is worth to look it up, but at least according to an accountant who was also a lawyer, the only true deduction might be that for municipal bond interest, if you buy his reading of the constitutional requirment.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman