What ever happened to COLORED Toilet Paper?

The house my parents bought (built in 1969) had avacado fixtures in the kitchen, but white in the bathrooms. I remember seeing colored ones in other people's houses.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Save on toilet paper. Use both sides :)

Reply to
hah
[snip]

Smells like grandma* :-)

  • - Think on tomacco.
Reply to
hah

The colour that's in fashion doesn't magically become better looking. Are people really this stupid?

Reply to
James Wilkinson
[snip]

The old light bulbs were deficient in blue light (because blue corresponds to higher temperature). This produces a "dirty yellow" quality to the light. I never considered that a problem until I learned of better lights. "warm white" CFLs are WORSE that way.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

We don't say "woman" any more-- it's vaginal American :-)

Reply to
Sam E
[snip]

Once I bought some bright orange sheets. The checker thought I wouldn't be able to sleep with such bright sheets. Of course, they're all black in a dark room.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It's a mild fragrance. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Green is good. It's like going in the fields.

Reply to
Micky

I have one of those bathtubs, maybe. It looked fine before I bought the house, and afterwards, until I used it. IIRC, I even lay down in it when I was checking out the house, but it wasn't enough.

The upper corner of the built-in tub went right into my back.

It was a bad first year. I must have complained because someone bought me an inflateable neck pillow with suction cups, meant for a bathtub, but it wasn't good.

What worked was foam rubber. I got a piece 4" thick, with length the width of the tub, and whose width was (I'll measure it if you want to know but) roughly 12". 4" was the dimension of the rear ledge of the tub. I cut the lower half, half-way thick, 2", and cut about 6" in from each end so that the lower half would curl forward, to cushion me all around. I left the top half as it was, and it sat on the horizontal rear of the tub.

Having the bottom turned out to be a mistake. The water woudl drain quickly out of the foam, except for the bottom inch or two. That would sit, wet, against the tub, for a long time before it dried out. I forget but maybe if I took a bath every day, it never dried out. And weeks or months later when I looked underneath there was damage.

My friend is certain I can just rub it off with Bab-o (hasn't scratched yet), but he is always certain. I think there is damage to the ?porcelain?, so I bought a kit, but I know it will actually look worse when repaired, becuase it won't be the same version of white, and I've never done it. Plus I think I should try the Bab-o.

For the top half, I cut out a piece the shape of a piece of caneloupe, still leaving it everywhere 2" thick or more, so I can lay my head back.

By golly the tub has been comfortable ever since.

I cut off the bottom when I saw the problem.

An electric knife for cutting roast beef works fine for cutting foam. A regular knife is not good at all in comparison.

Every 5 or 8 years, the foam is bad or disgusting and I buy new.

The first 10 years of my life, our bath was surrounded by linoleum or something similar, but it was coming up at a bottom corner and plaster was crumbling a teeny bit at a time into the tub. So my mother wouldn't let us have showers, which would wet the wall. I don't think she liked baths anyhow, so it was no sacrifice for her. Her house when she was young had an outhouse and I never asked how she took a bath, but I suspect she had no shower at all.

In NYC and maybe elsewhere for many years, bathing at home was illegal, because people used a big washtub and filled it with cold water and hot water from the stove, and this was so much effort that more than one person used the water one after another, and this spread disease. In tenements, people would hang the big washtub outside the kitchen window/

The next 15 years were not a problem but after that came 6 years in an apartment building owned by a guy who claimed he was a plumber, but didn't know how to run the water supply in the 6-story aparment building. Even after I went to the library and found a page that explained it, and sent it to him, he still couldn't handle it.

So when people in my line, and probably elsewhere too, flushed the toilet, with a flushometer that uses a large rush of water (no tank) it would lower the cold water pressure and make a mixture of cold and hot water burning hot. OTOH, if you turned the hot water down to match the cold water when pressure was low, the water was usually too cold, for a shower. So that led to more baths.

BTW, because the building was over 5 stories, and maybe especially because it was on a hill, Clinton Hill, the cold water used a combinatoin tank, water pump, and air pump. Water would be allowed to enter the tank until it was maybe 2/3rds full Then the air pump would run until the tank was pressurized, and when a toilet was flushed, the air pressure pushed water through faster and kept the pressure normal. Periodically the water would absorb the air and more would have to be pumped in, but it all ran automatically.

Maybe it was giving a problem, but I think he probably didn't understand what the air pump was for, and he turned it off. After that, top floors had inadequate pressure if someone flushed a toilet.

In the first house we had, the bathroom was bigger than either of my smallest 2 bedrooms out of 3. There was a big space in the middle of the room. The floor was linoleum, with a complicated design, not a pattern, a diamond of a different color in the center and two seahorses facing each other inside the diamond. It kept me interested all the time until we moved that I sat on the toilet.

Reply to
Micky

It does to people who care about what's in fashion. And that includes many people who haven't noticed or who even deny they care about fashion. It's human nature.

It's not about smart or stupid. Taste is rarely if ever about that and "better looking" is in the eye of the beholder. It's an aspect of taste. And taste is affected by what's in fashion.

And I'll bet that's true for you too. Do you ever watch movies from the 20's, 30's and 40's? Do you find the female stars very, very attractive. In most of the movies made then -- not the message movies or war movies (unless there was a French girl, a USO girl, or a girl back home), those women were very, very attractive to the male viewers of the time. (That's why they were chosen.) But they aren't viewed that way now.

Did women evolve to be more beautiful in only 70 years? No. 70 years is not enough for evolution to make much difference. But their hair styles, their make-up, including their lipstick and their eye-brows, and their clothes are of a different style now and it's the style most men prefer. I think it's mostly hair, and secondarily clothes. And by clothes I don't mean that today's clothes are less modest. Even if they are wearing equally modest clothes, someone in today's fashion (except when that included a midi- or maxi-skirt or a sack dress, and I suppose other styles that individuals actively dislike) will look better to most men. Maybe even you.

Reply to
Micky

You have to go back before 1934 when they started enforcing the Hayes Code (Motion Picture Production Code) when women still had breasts and didn't mind showing them. Check out the 1925 version of Ben Hur or some of Louise Brooks stuff. The It girl, Clara Bow, wasn't bad either.

Reply to
rbowman

Be glad that today's toilet paper doesn't smell. Remember in the 1980s when one manufacturer scented their toilet paper, and ALL others then followed suit. You would enter the bathroom and smell the toilet paper. To get non-scented paper you had to hunt for and buy some obscure brand.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

The nose is only one of the factors. And hers isn't that bad, there are far bigger ones.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I like green, for that reason.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I've been in a 3 bedroom / 2 bathroom mobile home. One of the bathrooms was really big and had a tub big enough for 2 people.

The third bedroom was much smaller than that bathroom. The home owner used it an an overflow closet.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That's great.

I sort of thought that when our house was built in the 30's or 40's, they hadn't thought of making bathrooms smaller yet. That there were loads of converted bedrooms when indoor plumbing was invented or became common. So that this was just the size of a smallish standard upstairs room.

We had a tiny powder room off the kitchen too, but I found out from my mother 30 years after we moved that my father had that put in, and it was so small because it was the space for it had to be carved out of the kitchen. I thought the house was built that way.

Reply to
Micky

imacs then iphones too over the rainbow route "she comes in colors everywhere..she's like a rainbow..." (as the commercial went for the imacs)

salmon/urinal cake pink toilet blue sickly yellow sewage green

Reply to
capitan

the colored ones have to use a different drinking fountain now

Reply to
capitan

Coloreds need asswipe also

Reply to