What does this picture of a roof show?

On TV, they drag a garden hose up there and make it rain.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

And the guarantee - if any, isn't worth the paper it's written on. In many cases you better hope nobody falls on the job, or the disposal bin doesn't fall off the truck onto a neighbor when they pull out of your driveway because they are not adequately insured either -- -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yeah, but I would have to do that, and it's January -- I can be wet and I can be cold but I don't want to be cold and wet -- and I'm not going on the roof, and I'd have to be inside the attic at the same time.

I could hire someone to do the hose, but I don't have enough insurance for when he falls.

The guy today said he could tell where the problems are. Details after the boss sends an estimate.

Reply to
micky

I looked for the 3rd time when you said this and still didn't see anything wrong.

Finally clicked on the little magnifying glass and saw it. One, maybe two of them, maybe the whole row.

There are a lot of posts about inverting the starter row -- bad practice

-- except this is the ending row, not the starter row!

Maryland does not require a permit specifically for roofing. Because your roof is considering a covering, and not a structural component of the property, replacing your roof covering with a new covering does not require a permit.Mar 31, 2017 Common Reroofing Questions Answered: - Fick Bros.

Well, my guy didn't do any of those things, so maybe that makes up for the mistakes he did make.

I thought this would interest people here: November 26, 2014, 7:07pm #1 So basically I started reroofing my garage when I realized I was installing a typical 3 tab shingle upside down. Instead of the 3 tabs facing down they are facing up. Now, as far as I can figure this shouldn’t actually mess anything up as far as weatherproofing goes. After looking at the shingles it seems like the 3 tabs are merely cosmetic. The only problem I might be able to see is that the grooves between the three tabs are facing up instead of down, however, I have still installed the shingles such that there is 1 to 1.5 inches overlap and the tab grooves and nails are completely covered by the bottom (i.e. top) of the next overlying row of shingles.

So, I’ve only gotten 1/3 of one side of the garage done and I really don’t want to redo it I don’t have to. Although I will be installing the shingles here on out the correct way (yes, I know the will be a color difference) should I reinstall the ones I’ve done or can I treat them as a very long bottom strip of shingles and restart (allowing for the proper overlap concerning going the correct way now) from here on out? Basically, is there any reason beyond cosmetic reasons?

One of the replies: shingle_monkey Can we get some pics for our sales folders?

Another reply: ....Having said that, I’ve watched a crew start roofing from the top of the building using three tabs, lifting to nail as they went down. I thought that was pretty funny.

The OP again: Sure! Anyhoo, obviously I’ve never laid shingles before. Yes I studied up on how to lay them. No I didn’t immediately start after studying up and quite frankly it’s a situation where I just started not even thinking “hey, is this the right way” and viola, here I am. Just looking at the shingle (after I realized the mistake - homer moment) I didn’t see any difference between the makeup of the material of the two sides and as you can see from the pictures it’s not as if it looks bad per se.

Reply to
micky

Sounds just about as smart as a friend who took off with a pair of sand-bags hung across the back of his plane (it made it easier to get the tail of his tricycle gear plane low enouigh to get out of his makeshift hangar and he was in such a hurry to go flying while the weather was good, he forgot to remove them and didn't realize it untill he landed again and it flared WAY too easy -- - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

He's lucky it landed right side up.

But at least he proved he can carry freight back there.

Reply to
micky