What do you recommend for coating/selaing rocks on side of house?

On the outside of our Tuscan style home there is stonework that looks like 'wainscoating'. The stones are varied in color and only extend up around 3 feet or so with recessed mortaring.

Being multiple colored all variation is lost with sun and dust on them. As I washed the walls to prep for painting, I discovered that when these rocks are wet, they look a lot better. So the question WHAT is the best clear coating to put on them to keep them looking wet? Keep in mind here in Arizona the sun is merciless and the heat can easily get surface temperatures above 140F and still does freeze here.

My first thought was to use something like was used on the travertine flooring, but that's interior. Need to be robust for exterior.

Reply to
Robert Macy

SealKrete is popular.

dadiOH

"Do nothing." I like the way you think. That's my preference, too. But, after seeing what they look like wet vs the extremely drab washed out look...

Reply to
Robert Macy

Thanks, I'm impressed with their other products, so will check into it.

Reply to
Robert Macy

I was thinking of similar sealers. I used KureNSeal 30 on my stamped concrete. It gives it a wet look and lasts 2- 3 years. It's solvent based, you can't buy it in all states. I have not been impressed with any of the water based sealers.

trader4

once you finish them, you'll have to redo it every 2-3 years, forever. it also may be hard to get off or prep the surface for recoating. i'd recommend not coating them, but perhaps a powerwash every so often instead.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
chaniarts

I would get a sixer of decent beer, probably "Dogfishhead 90 Minute IPA", and go golfing and see if it still bothered me enough when I got home to f*ck with it instead of drinking more beer.

How long do you plan to live...? -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I like the idea of leaving the stones alone. However, when wet; they look incredible. As they dry, the look goes right back to that washed out, nondescript color of nothing.

Reply to
Robert Macy

*IF* we all live to 150; I'm barely middle aged!
Reply to
Robert Macy

Thanks for the recommendation, and the URL. It looks like they ship to Arizona.

Is this URL the lowest price, including shipping?

Reply to
Robert Macy

out...

If this is "cultured stone" I would ask the manufacturer. That is the advantage of real stone, it usually stays the same over the years

Reply to
gfretwell

I don't know current pricing and just did a quick google to find the product for you. I think when I bought it a couple years ago, I found it on sale for like $90. Howver, that kind of price was a real find. The stuff is expensive.

Reply to
trader4

daloghouse.net

I called them to find out that the product will last two years and can be applied with 3/bin roller.

Home Depot's Wet Look is water based, lasts 1 year and is recommended to be applied with a 'bug' sprayer.

ARRRRGGG! both roller and sprayer splatter like crazy and most of this stone is over bare concrete. That'll be a challenge to apply without contaminating everything else.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Thanks, I ALWAYS forget to ask the manufacturer to find out what they recommend. Or, the stone masons who put this stuff in for a living.

Reply to
Robert Macy

I don't know why a sprayer should splatter. Generally, people use one of the 1-2 gallon pump up herbicide sprayers with the tip closed down to get a mist.

Reply to
dadiOH

Splatter, maybe not, but definitely some misting will float down onto the raw concrete below the stones.

I bought the $20, 2.5gal herbicide sprayer [HD recommended either the $10, 1 gal, or this one]

Will try it out and see how it goes.

Reply to
Robert Macy

daloghouse.net

Two points with regard to The Concrete Suppliers compnay:

  1. easy to get prompt 'personal' response to questions
  2. honest compnay that gives CONSERVATIVE product lifetime estimates. Two traits that make me wish them the best.
Reply to
Robert Macy

So? It;s like any painting prohject. You cover up what needs to be covered up. I'd suggest you find out whether any of the typical plastic tank sprayers are OK for solvent based product, if you're planning on using one. Otherwise, a brush works and that is what I'd use anyway.

Reply to
trader4

For simplicity, I bought Behr 'Wet Look' at Home Depot along with the expensive tank sprayer [approx $20]

Spray is a euphemism, more like stream of varying sizes. But the first application using a bug sprayer was FAST! abeit messy. There was probably as much liquid on the plastic drop sheets as got onto the wall. First application was almost like spraying a sponge wall.

One area, an archway over the doorway, was too difficult to get at and protect adjoining areas so I bit the bullet and used one of those cheap, cheap 3inch wide brushes. The brush is so cheap it doesn't even hold the liquid, but brushing and poking at the surface worked great. I think with better looking results than the spraying.

To get rid of left over liquid, I applied 2nd coats in some areas using the brush - that was fast [surface no longer so porous] and produced less mess.

However after the cost for a 5 gal bucket, all the effort, and especially cleaning up the sticky mess; I don't think it was worth it. The sealed stones don't look that much different! Probably should have gone with the spirit based product instead.

Reply to
Robert Macy

I don't golf and I rarely drink beer, but this answer is the best a.h.r. reply to any question, ever.

Reply to
Smitty Two