What different HID lights can run off the same balast?

I heard that two of the following HIDs can run off the same balast. Anyone know which two?

Mercury vapor Metal halide High Pressure sodium

Assume the wattages are the same.

Thanks!

DeanB

Reply to
dean

I believe a multi- vapor ballast will operate mercury vapor and metal halide lamps

Reply to
RBM

Mercury lamps of 175, 250, and 400 watts (H39, H37, and H33 ANSI ballast compatibility codes respectively) can be run from same-wattage non-pulse-start metal halide ballasts (M57, M58, and M59 ANSI ballast compatibility codes respectively).

H36 1000 watt mercury lamps and not H34 ones can be used with M47 metal halide ballasts.

I have heard of some sodium lamps for use on some metal halide ballasts

- use only ballasts indicated as compatible by the lamp manufacturer.

There are 150, 215, and 360 watt "mercury retrofit" sodium lamps that work on at least some H39, H37 and H33 mercury ballasts respectively. Read the lamp packaging - I have known these to be restricted to ballasts of "reactor" and "lag autotransformer" types. Newer versions may be compatible with more ballasts including M57, M58 and M59 metal halide ballasts. CAUTION - unless rated specifically for use with metal halide ballasts, a "retrofit sodium" on a CWA type (usual type) metal halide ballast can be significantly overpowered when its characteristics change due to aging.

Other combinations are known to often work but are advised against because any or any combination of the following are possible:

  1. Lamp may have trouble starting in cold
  2. Lamp may have trouble starting after some aging
  3. Lamp and/or ballast and/or socket may fail in an unsafe manner

Don Klipstein

In , I, Don Klipstein wrote in part:

I think I got that one backwards, as in there being metal halide lamps for sodium ballasts. Use only a ballast having an ANSI ballast compatibility code mentioned by the lamp manufacturer as compatible.

Don Klipstein