What are these tanks?

This is from a slide show of a house in the middle of a pine forest in Utah. The house has a metal roof, and the trees come right up next to the house. This would be an odd way to store water in case of a forest fire.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Slide claims to be of the "greenhouse". Water for irrigating plants kept therein? (though there seems to be a shortage of plants! :> )

I'd guess passive solar storage? Would depend on the exposure of the windows in this room...

Reply to
Don Y

Hot water supply? It looks like the room might be south facing judging from the shadows. I can't see the trees well enough to tell where the sun is for sure.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

There is no spigot to get the water out. You lift the lid and scoop it out? Why are the tanks sitting in trays? If one sprung a leak, the tray isn't going to stop much

Then maybe it isn't water? The back two are taller, more full, and have deeper lids.

Then I'd put them closer to the window. In support of your suggestion, there is a fan in the wall to blow greenhouse air into the house.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

I opened that, got to the first pic, then blue screen PC shutdown, which I don't think I've ever had on this PC before. Rebooted, tried it again, goes to the NY Times, but slideshow won't open now, so something weird is going on.... FYI

Reply to
trader_4

That reminds me of the solar home my brother built for a customer here in NE Oklahoma back in the 80s. The tilted windows are very familiar. For that one they used what they called a trombe` wall made of rock. It was to store the heat from the Sun. For a more upscale look tanks of water would be much fancier looking.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

We have a winner! Thermal mass for storing sun heat.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Probably to collect condensate. Utah gets snow so I assume it has

*some* humidity. Wouldn't want the thermal mass of those tanks to act as a condensing surface -- with the condensate dripping down it onto the floors (?)

If you place them *at* the windows, you lose the view. All you need is to be able to capture sunlight streaming *into* the room and/or heat reflected/radiated from the floor. Utah is a relatively high latitude so angle of sun is shallower -- penetrates deeper into room.

Reply to
Don Y

That's where Dr. Frankenstein keeps his brains. There are 3 because he wants a large family.

Reply to
micky

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 03:23:46 -0700, Don Y wrote in

+1
Reply to
CRNG

Could be thermal mass. Heat by the sun, give off some heat at night. Water or rocks are often used for that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Here's one:

"Water tubes prevent temperature swings in greenhouse or sunroom by storing excess solar energy."

"Water stores 3 to 4 times as many BTU's per lb. as rock or masonry."