well pump problem?

Our electricity was off for 96 hours as the result of the big storm in Indianapolis last Friday, but now that it's back on it seems our water pump (we're on a well) can't sustain the flow it did prior to the outage. The water flows as normal immediately after the tap is opened, but the flow quickly goes to about 25% of normal, or less. Turn off the tap and the pressure gets restored after a few minutes, but then the same thing happens when the water's turned on. What gives? Sediment blocking the inlet? Something electrical? We weren't home when the power went down, but I think the problem -- maybe lightning

-- was at the substation and not anywhere near here. I'll call the pump folks this AM, but am wondering what any of you might have to say about this problem.

What puzzles me most about this problem is that when we're away on vacation the water doesn't get turned on for much longer periods, but we've never encountered this problem in the past. Is there something different happening to a pump when the power is interrupted? This pump is about 15 years old, I think.

Thanks.

Lynn Willis Indianapolis

Reply to
willisl

It's time you bought a new and better pump. Don't be cheap.

Reply to
Duff2

Lynn,

Many wells have a holding tank that is charged with air. If the air leaks out the symptoms that you are experiencing will occur. I'd check the air pressure. This problem may not be related to the power outage.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

If something is on the verge of failure it's usually a power surge or fluctuation that will kill it. When power goes out in a storm it usually fluctuates, pulses and flashes on and off before it finally quits. Real good for electrical and electronic stuff.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

From your description, it sounds like the air bladder in your pressure tank has failed, or has water on both sides of the bladder.

Reply to
JimR

oted text -

WTF!! 15 years on a pump is nothign and what the hell leads you to believe that he has a cheap pump?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

In addition to checking the precharge in the tank:

A problem that can cause the problem is the small riser pipe the pressure switch mounts on getting almost totally plugged up causing the on/off switch not to operate in a timely fashion. I had to clean mine a couple years ago. Simple job. Disconnect the wires to the switch (note where each connect to!), unscrew switch, unscrew the 1/4" pipe and ream out.

Both jobs are easy home owner tasks and save you a bunch of money calling a plumber. If neither fixes the problem then you will probably have to call a pump person.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Thanks for all the fast responses. Turns out the problem was "none of the above." When the pump man answered my call he asked if I've changed the prefilter lately. I hadn't, so I made the change and...end of problem. Seems my son-in-law had made the last change while my wife and I were away, and had substituted a finer filter than I normally used. It was seriously loaded.

Thanks again for the responses.

Lynn Willis Indianapolis

Reply to
willisl

Make a claim on your homeowner's policy for storm damage. Then work with insurance company to get it working again.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

Thanks for the update. Somehow when discussing pump/well problems I always overlook that there may be a filter or treatment system in the line.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K