Wayne-Dalton iDrive

I am in the process of buying 2 iDrives for torsion springs this weekend at the local home center. They have them for $239 - $40 rebate = $199. I am having Wayne-Dalton garage doors installed just not having them install the door openers. Their cost $410 for each iDrive installed. Anyway I am curious if there have been any negative experiences with the door openers? I live near Chicago and am wondering if there any problems with cold as well.

Thanks Peter

Reply to
Peter

I too am interested in the Wayne-Dalton for my new torsion spring door, however the door is not a Wayne-Dalton. I called my door dealer and ask about the Wayne-Dalton opener.. He worned me not to do it..and words like $#!%$%&^^&..

I still like the torsion shaft opener idea so I searched around eBay and Home Depot and found that the Wayne-Dalton seems to be the only source for an opener of this type..

Also there are two models of this opener. The model that will only work/fit on the Wayne-Dalton doors and a model that fits other doors with torsion shafts/springs.

Make sure that your vendor is selling you the correct model.

Also..Be sure you understand what is involved in working on a torsin shaft/spring. It is very dangerous and pre-loaded with considerable force.

Reply to
Steve

If you are getting a Wayne Dalton door with their internal spring, make sure you get the correct IDrive. They make 2 models..... 1 for their doors and one for normal torsion springs.

I just had their door and their Idrive installed for my parent's townhome. Advantage of their door with their IDrive is no infrared detectors at bottom are required. It works well. THe predesseor model with built in backup battery did not work well because they never solved battery problems and it used the battery full time. IT was also noisy. But the current model works well. Only problem with it is the light timer is unadjustable at 5 minutes and the buzzer that tells you it is going to do something does not have adjustable volume and is too quiet when the door is closed and you are outside using the keypad..... you cannot be sure you put the number in right until the door starts moving. Overall I recommend it and will replace my 3 openers with the IDrive when they start failing.

negative

Reply to
Art Begun

In other words, he is not a dealer and doesn't want you to buy something that he doesn't sell?

These do not have to be touched as the unit is a clamshell that goes over the shaft without disassembling the shaft assembly. It is a very easy assembly and never touches the springs or even goes near them.

-- Mike D.

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Art,

The Wayne-Dalton door that I have on order is and 18ftx8ft door and comes only with a visible torsion spring. I picked up two of the proper iDrives. I hope they will last. Thanks for your input.

-Peter

Reply to
Peter

By the way, Wayne Dalton factory store prices on doors with installation were hundreds cheaper than Lowes in my area. But Lowes is supposed to price match. Not sure from your post as to where you are getting the doors but make sure you check prices. Wayne Dalton stores negotiate too.

Reply to
Art Begun

I was thinking the same thing but when I tried to purchase a door opener from him, I told me to just get one from Sears.. Didn't seem interested in selling me the LiftMaster opener that he sells.

Steve

Reply to
Steve