Way to slow down box fan?

Yea, I was thinking about an older Jeep Cherokee with the straight 6 in it because I loved my Slant Sixes in my Mopars. I even built a 170cid Slant Six with a 3/4 race cam. It was a real hoot to wind that little sucker up but I kept blowing the stock muffler off of it at high rpm. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It's funny that cars occupy a place in our hearts...I'm sure it's the memories that went with them and not the cars themselves...

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Not the same thing... the old slant six was a MoPar design, the Jeep six was based on a similarly ancient and dead nuts reliable AMC design. I have owned both and like both but the later "high output" 4.0 Jeep engine is way stronger than a 225 slant six. Actually have to watch your right foot when it's damp out and you're in 2WD :)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If you use a triac dimmer control the motor torque falls off pretty rapidly. But as you reduce the fan speed the torque required falls off rapidly also, something like the 3rd power of the RPM. I never used a dimmer to control a fan, but it might work. From mickey, it often does work.

I believe a triac dimmer will maintain torque better than a resistor.

The box fans I have make noise because of the air being moved, not because of balance problems.

Reply to
bud--

use a dimmer.

Reply to
Steve Barker

You don't really have to be concerned about starting torque with a fan but if it's a problem, crank the dimmer wide open to start then back off. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Heck, I'm very aware of the differences, I wrote straight 6 in the Jeep, not Slant Six. My dad owned a 51 Dodge sedan that had the old L-head six which Chrysler continued to manufacture as an industrial engine long after they stopped using it in cars and trucks. I know a tiny little bit about engines, I've rebuilt a variety of them and my favorite Ford engine is the 300cid straight six. I think it was used in a lot of UPS trucks at one time or so I heard. I'm really looking for a "small" SUV with a four banger but I tried to get into a Honda and as usual, I cracked my fracking head open on the door frame. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I should say that every fan I have except the 4" fan (which is a year old) is over 25 years old. I have a Tintang** (or something like that, 2-speed fan) that is about 25 years old, but I've never used a speed control with it, or with the 4" fan. **Co-workers gave me this when they felt sorry for me when I was using a fan from the '30's. But I liked the older fan more, until it caught fire last summer (fan stopped, overheated, and set fire to too much light oil).

The rest are 30 to 80 years old. I don't think newer fans from the last 10 years are made differently from my older ones, which are all (except maybe one) brushless, induction motors. I guess I could try dimmers on those two newer fans if anyone was curious.

I got the old fans, with iron or heavy steel bases, from my father when he died in 1955 at age 62. They were in his office or our home.

Yeah.

Reply to
micky

If the noise is causes by too much air being moved, maybe blocking part of the fan by inserting a piece of cardboard in the grill-work would help.

Reply to
Pavel314

Keep in mind that the airflow has to keep the fan motor cool enough as well; restricting the airflow may allow the motor to overheat.

AND some kinds of electric motor (I don't recall which) overheat when run on a reduced voltage, so the resistor or dimmer suggestions made earlier may not be a good idea either.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I've put dimmers on fans and all you do it trade off some fan blade noise for increased motor noise because the solid state dimmers just chop the current up and make the motor "buzz". The only way to do it without the buzz is with an old fashioned transformer based dimmer/motor controller.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Otherwise know as a variable autotransformer or Variac. The dimmers using a triac instead of an SCR may be less likely to make the fan motor buzz. I've seen Variac light dimmers used in recording studios because they don't make the lights buss or add noise to the electrical power for the studio. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Not in my experience. In one case the dimmer was a foot from my ear when I lie down and the fan was 18 inches. Still heard no humming or buzzing. And since the reason I use the dimmer is mostly to get rid of noise, I would notice.

There is probably a lot of variety in motors and fans, and even maybe dimmers.

Reply to
micky

replying to pilgrim, JP Huie wrote: Just want to add that a larger fan (blade diameter) will produce less noise for the amount of air moved. So a larger fan (I'd shoot for 20" at least) on a slowish speed might move enough air AND be quieter. Problem may be finding one... I bought earlier model of this from Amazon, but reviews on current model arent' to good. You can check Grainger but they don't seem to give the diameters, so maybe go to mfg's website for that...

JP Huie

But I might have missed say, one lone post.

If he's still reading I have some info, but I'm not going to the trouble of writing it unless someone who is reading wants to know how to slow a fan.

Reply to
Micky

If you bothered to go to the link you would see...even TDD is there, from 2 yrs ago! :^(

Reply to
bob_villain

replying to The Daring Dufas, Shawn hill wrote: best thing to do is buy something that will reduce the amps not the volts because the speed is changed by a tapped winding in the motor which reduces the amperage

Reply to
Shawn hill

TDD has gone the way of the Mormon...and is no longer with us. Alas!

Reply to
bob_villa

BS, he is too busy, but still alive.

Reply to