Wave "Dehumidifier" -- Has anyone here tried it? (2023 Update)

The WAVE product is ok, just way over-priced. The Breeze (sold on Amazon, Ebay, and Breeze website) does the same thing, is made with quality parts in USA, and costs a small fraction of the price of the WAVE unit (entry unit sells for $349). Also, it is backed by a five-year warranty. Breeze also sells a more powerful unit (the DL) with two fans, for large basements. Check it out!

Reply to
John

A dehumidifier works by blowing air across a cold coil (like air flowing through a window air-conditioner). It also has a hot coil where it dumps the heat. When air flow across the cold coil the moisture in the air condenses on the coil and then drips into a collection pan. The problem is that in a cool location like a damp basement this cold coil can ice up. A "low temp" dehumidifier runs in "reverse" every so often so that the cold coil heats up. This will melt any ice that may have accumulated on the coil.

Reply to
Davej

I know this thread is from two years ago. Maybe someone is still out there. I moved into a house that had this in the basement. I also had prefinished hard wood floors installed in top floor the first month I moved in - December in NJ. The house has been super humid over summer and we we did find a hole in a duct and just had it fixed. The new floors are chipping and cracking and just a mess. 25k down the drain. Could the wave be to blame? The inspector that was hired for the floors said it’s because of humidity.

Reply to
shm9800

Did you measure the humidity in both areas? It may not be working as you expected it to, so if it's because it's not doing anything it could be to blame for that, but it can't make it any more humid.

Reply to
Robert

A smart system that has capability to measure outside humidity as well as inside humidity is the way to go, it should only operate when the conditions outside are sufficiently low in humidity. Otherwise it's going to be unproductive, pulling more humid air in.

Reply to
Robert

AFAIK, this device just ejects basement air outside and relies on most of the makeup air coming from inside the house, not from outside. They rely on that air, which typically is air conditioned air in most homes during the most humid months, to reduce the basement humidity. They tout a very low cost to run the Wave fan, but ignore the fact that hot, humid make up air is entering the conditioned air space above, which increases that energy bill. In short, it's a fan with a humidistat that they sell for $$$$.

The idea of a similar system that only operates when humidity outside is low would work, if a return air path is available in the basement, so it pulls from that. However it would have limited use, because it would not work when you need it most.

Reply to
trader_4

That's why I hardly ever use my whole house fan, when it's cooler outside and I want to get rid of the hot air in the house, it always seems to be very high humidity outside, and I'd rather have the heat than humidity in the house.

Reply to
Robert

Anyone have the manual that came with the unit? Or does it appear online**?**

Reply to
Specky