Water too Hot, Now Just Lukewarm (Electric Heater)

Remove the covers over the top and bottom thermostats and check for a resettable safety thermostat.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Probably the low element is in a bed of calcium carbonate rocks distilled out of your water and it shorted out the element.

20 years old. Don't fool with parts, replace the whole water heater.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

My theory: A failed thermostat caused the water to get too hot (elements on much of the time). Now one has failed. (This is a very old heater- 20 yrs maybe?) Am I probably correct? (I know. I'll know when I take it apart but I always like to guess first) Help appreciated! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

You might want to check to see how long your neighbor's water heaters are lasting. If they are not getting better than about 20 years, I would just replace it. It does depend on the water in your area, but in most areas 20 years is about it.

Of course I am getting at the first question you should be asking yourself is do I repair or replace. Since it appears you may be able to do it yourself for just the parts, then that might be a point for repair. However if it is located in a location where a major leak could be costly, I would say replace it anyway.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan