Water pipes in home rattle when outside sillcock turned on

Our basement pipes rattle loudly when we turn on the outside sillcock to water our plants or put water out for the birds. This has been happening for some time. It can get really loud.

I'd like some idea as to what is happening before I call a plumber. Almost all these workman today, plumbers, a/c repair guys, etc., seem to be crooks.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Change the washer in the sillcock.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I didn't mean to hire a plumber, just to find pipes that go along the ceiling of the basement and firm them up with little copper clamps screwed to the floor joists. For example,

micky

Yeah, don't solve the problem, just stop the noise.

That way the water hammer can slam harder against a fixed point until it breaks something.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Reply to
Clare Snyder

My home water main broke just as I was taking a graduate course in fluid mechanics of pipelines (Fall 1981). I don't know that some water restirctors our utility sent us just before cause the break, but I had to write a program that calculated "water hammers using method of characteristics", so I got rid of all the restrictors. Intended message: vibrations do break pipes; Improper flow can create nasty waves and even more unstable phenomena. Deal with it quickly.

Reply to
vjp2.at
*+-of decades they've all turned into extravagant crooks who usually

Just wondering, is this universal in USA and Europe, or are there some areas not?

Yeah, and the insurance costs more than the work. But if you don't know them, you need them insured. I wanted a tree trimmed and they asked thousands for a cherry picker. Most of it for insurance. But if I let the migrant who was nice enough to offer to do it for hundreds, climbing by hand, do it and he gets hurt, you can bet lawyers will line up offering my house to his wife. And the other thing is their fixed cost. They insist on doing several thousands worth of work just to recover the fixed cost of bringing you their team. My widowed, elderly aunt in law in a rural part of the USA relies on Home Depot heavily because they vouch for the work and are insured. My elderly uncle recently spent hours under a bathtub to unclog it because the last time he called a plumber he was told "I can't guaranty I won't burst your pipes." And about ten years ago our previous roofer under new owners grossly overquoted a job because he didn't want small customers like us. One guy got upset he didn't get the job he said he would have inspectors all over our house. We are a family of engineers and have a few reliable handymen for most projects. The handymen are reliable because they are friends. One guy shows up whenever there is heavy rain to be sure the roof didn't leak; no stranger would do that. In the 1970s we had a reliable roofer, but once he shows up yelling we should not have let his drug addict son on our roof. Even worse with doctors, but a reliable repairman doesn't always stay reliable. We sadly dumped the doctor who delivered me because he was drunk and breathing on his stethoscope when he told me I had a murmur at thirteen, but his wife was dying of leukemia, but it was a painful decision. They are human, too.

Sorry for the soapbox, you hit a nerve.

Reply to
vjp2.at

In snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com by Clare Snyder snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca> on Sun, 28 Nov 2021 22:20:30 we perused:

*+- The washer in the faucet is likely loose.

I suspect so. Folks underappreciate how unstable fow can cause damage. I have a masters in fluid mechanics engineering.

Reply to
vjp2.at