Water pipe replacement question

The "wells" sound dangerous. Such a thing only works in moderate climates, too. When we were in Vermont, several mains, down as far as eight feet, broke one Winter. It's not unusual for the frost line to go down 7'. Of course, here the frost line is 6" (that's exaggerated) so a shallow pit (maybe 12") works.

Reply to
krw

That's old school. Mine is wireless. Has a 10 year[25?] battery and is all digital. There is no activity until it senses a light in the room, then the LED? screen shows what is going on. I'm a couple hundred feet from the highway & no one has come up it to 'read' the meter.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I over reacted a bit. Oops, sorry.

.

.

Rather than saying that "pex *is* joined with barb fittings and round rings" you should say that "pex *can* be joined with barb fittings and round rings".

Pex can also be joined with Sharkbites.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, Toto, I guess we're not in Kansas anymore...

Reply to
Larry W

Most all the meters here in the midwest are set somewhere between 18" and 24". It does get to -20 here, but not for extended periods of time. I seriously doubt the frost actually goes below 36" anywhere in the us of a. To say the frost line goes to SEVEN feet would mean ALL the water lines are buried below that. Is that what you mean to have us believe?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Yeah, when I was in college, we had a mobile home with a pit like that under it. The water meter froze every time it got cold.

You're seriously wrong.

Yes. As I said, even the ones down as far as EIGHT feet were rupturing one Winter. Most are well below that (new subdivisions were easy to spot ;-). The water line came into my house through the basement floor.

Reply to
krw

wow. what a pain. most trenchers only go 5' at best. So all those in your area done with a backhoe, i presume?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Barker

underground valve. If

"My" area is now AL, in process of moving to GA. ;-) Vermont is too cold, too long, and the Democrats, too incredible.

I presume they use back hoes. Why not, they're needed for the basement/footings, anyway.

Reply to
krw

yeah, i suppose. I was just thinking of the 440' i'm gonna run to the horse area from my existing hydrant. A 4" wide trench 30" deep with a trencher that goes about as fast as a slow walk is a hellofalot better than having to backhoe that distance.

Reply to
Steve Barker

You live a sheltered life, Steve.

Reply to
clare

hardly. I just live in the real world.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I live at the NJ shore, not a severe winter environment at all. Water pipes are routinely buried 4 ft here. At

18 to 24" we'd be having frozen pipes. Here's a map that shows the frost line for the continental USA.
Reply to
trader4

Just real for YOU (and admitedly many others) - but not THE real world. In THE real world there exists many "strange" things - like Permafrost. And all kinds of other situations that do not exist in YOUR sheltered corner of the globe.

Reply to
clare