Water Heater Safety Solenoid?

Greetings, I remember watching This Old House and they had a plumber install a solenoid in the supply line of a water heater. The solenoid was hooked up to a float in the safety pan underneath, if the pan filled with water, the solenoid would cut the water supply and hopefully your basement wouldn't be an oversized heated swimming pool. Anyone know of a source for this setup? Many TIA..... Mark L.

Reply to
Mark L.

This what you're looking for?

Paul Franklin

I don't watch TV much any more, but I think I know what you're talking about.

HeatMan

Reply to
Mark L.

For total flood protection there are Main saftey shut offs, they can use sensors or detect excessive flow from upstairs. A water heater is only one area breaks can ocure

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Mark L.

If you spring a little leak (most common, I think) the tank will hold water for a long time. If you spring a big leak, the pilot will be doused and the gas valve will shut off the gas. Even with small leaks, commonly the pilot is either doused, or the thermocouple cooled enough to shut off the gas.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

In any case, the gas control has an overheat sensor protruding into the tank. In the case of a dry tank, the sensor (switch) opens and cuts off the thermocouple circuit. This is a one-time device/ not re-settable.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to