water heater question

I am thinking of replacing the water heater. I currently have a 30 gallon gas one.

Are there any difference between the one that are selling at Home Depot (GE brand) vs those special brands that contractors carry (something Smith?) (assume installation is good)

Also, any downside to upgrading to a 40 gallon model? This is for a

1400sq ft home for about 3-4 people. Would the 40 gallon waste more gas if I don't have the need for it?

I don't mind paying slightly more for the 40 gallon, as long as the energy cost is comparable to the 30 gallon...

Thanks.

Raymond

Reply to
nospam.house

Contractors always pick the cheapest. Maybe someone will have some suggestions about particular brands.

Yes, but very little more.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

On 12/8/2004 6:44 PM US(ET), snipped-for-privacy@none.com took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

A. O. Smith.

Probably, if 3 of the 4 are female. The three in my house can go through

40 gallons of hot water before the coffee is done. The size of the house doesn't enter into the equation. The house doesn't take showers and shave its legs and underarms while the hot water is running. :-)

Reply to
willshak

If you are running out of hot water now then you should get a bigger one. If not, not. 30 gallon is quite small though.

Reply to
Art

Don't forget to consider the dimensions, plumbing, electrical hookups of the new tank whatever size you select, 40 gal is good if it fits. And put a leak pan under it.

Good luck

Reply to
fermat

First thing you should do is check out this web site:

I recomend a thorugh reading of the information they provide. I have no conection with these folks, but the info seems to be on the level.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I purchase the 9-year warrantee GE version which is said to have self-cleaning. I paid only $10 more for a 40G versus the 30G. Glad I got the 40G for a family of four. If the gas is always off when no one is using it there's little waste.You only spend good money heating up the extra 10G initially which is about 10-min. and then even less money after that. To make up for the loss, set it on low then wait for someone to complain, which is a rediculous advice.

Reply to
Leroy Mowry

When it comes time to replace my gas water heater, I'm going with a tankless, on-demand solution. They're about the size of a circuit breaker box and can be wall-mounted. They come in different sizes for different needs. They cost a little more than a 40/50 gal water heater but then you aren't constantly heating water you arent' using.

Just my 3 cents worth.

Reply to
"warren" warrenpease

I have to agree.

I met Larry and Suzanne a few weeks ago and bought their book. Before that, I never thought about why a water heater failed.

Wonderful people and no where near what I thought they'd be.

Reply to
HeatMan

This is Turtle.

When I was single , a 30 gal. did just fine. When I got Married and had 2 kids a

2,000 gal. was needed. If you have a wife and two kids. The 40 Gal. has your name wrote on it.

I would rather have a Ruud or Rheem but a A.O. Smith will do fair.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

I know you need the Anodes and all but here we don't use anodes or nothing and hot water tanks last a good 20 years and never drain one or fool with them. The only trouble we have is the gas valve goes out or the thermostat and elements burn up. then in about 30 years the tank begins to leak. I guess if I wanted to make the tank go past 30 years. I would use the Anodes or what every. SO.

If I can get 20+ years out of a tank and do nothing. Is it worth it to go with these Anodes or whatever ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE