Water Heater...Just Stopped Working, Repair Questions

We have a Kenmore Power Miser 10, model #153.329820, guessing from

1989 (SN E89704057) that just stopped working...no hot water anywheres in the house.

We've disabled the timer, reset the ckt breaker and nothing, the red light (heating water) doesn't even come on.

This is a 5500 watt, 82 gallon unit.

What else can I do to trouble shoot the problem for a fix? Any ideas on what would cause this to just stop working?

BTW, we've been in the house for 5 years, never had any previous issues?

If you need anymore info re: the above, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

-MACE-

Reply to
MACE

It is probably a burnt heating element, which can be easily replaced. Other folks can tell you how to check them with a voltmeter.

You can drain the water, remove the element, and take it to hardware store, etc, for exact replacement.

Less likely, but it could also be a bad thermostat in the unit.

Good Luck !!

--James--

Reply to
news.individual.net

Reply to
Robert Barr

Open the cover on the side of the unit near the top; thermostat is hidden behind fiberglass; carefully move aside either with the power OFF, or with an insulated screw driver; then push hard on the red "reset" bottton" on the thermostat. Turn on power. If the red light comes on, you've solved your problem Happens to my Kenmore occasionally, even when there's no problem with the heating elements.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Hi, thanks everyone, this is exactly what the problem was, well to be exact both thermostats had what I beleive is called the high limit (low limit for lower thermostat?) switches tripped. First time in 5 years this has happened.

I reset both and YES....HOT WATER!!!

Thanks again.

Reply to
MACE