Water Heater Element burnt out

Electric water heater bottom element reads open on the ohmeter, got to drain the tank, get all the muck out of it. It is 8 years old. It still lookes like new. Is there any secret way of removing the element? I had a bad experence one time of trying to loosen the element. I put some Liquid Wrench on the threads, and I am going to put some more on tomorrow. I am going to try to remove it on Friday. Does anybody have any tricks to removing these elements? Sometimes they can be stubborn!! I am always afraid to brake the fitting out of the tank...I don't feel like putting in a new tank. Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Do you already have an element wrench? If you don't, wait until the stores are open again and buy one before you have at it.

They only cost a few bucks. They're just a big plated steel "socket" with a hole through the back end you can shove a steel rod or a BMF screwdriver through so you can use two hands to really crank the torque onto the element's hex. Much better for that job than an adjustable wrench or a pipe wrench.

I've busted loose a lot of elements in my day, and never screwed up the tank fitting.

If you happen to be in Red Sox country and want to borrow my wrench, it's yours for the asking. I've also got quite a few different sized elements I've taken out of leaking tanks which look like they stuill have lots of life left in them. You could have one of those too. (Email me off group if you're interested.)

Happy New Year,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Yeah jeff..I have one of those sockets, but I can never seem to get enough torque with it. The last one I did was for my son, I had to use a pipe wrench on the element, cracked the welded fittting on the tank! The tank was old , so we replaced it. My tank is in better shape, and I think that socket will work with my BMF screwdriver...you seem like a down to earth guy..thanks for your encouragement!

Andy

Reply to
Andy & Carol

This is Turtle.

36" Pipe wrench and clamp on it , but watch out not to turn the tank over. Now a 18" or a 14" will do fine. I had to use a 18" pipe wrench on my camp water heater a few years back. Now some normal people just use a big screw driver.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Made a mountain out of a molehill! Got a new element, drained the tank, got all the tools, Big wrench, element socket tool, liquid wrench. large bar, I put the socket on the heater element...preparing to apply enormous pressure, Surprise!!! It broke loose with very little pressure..Its all fixed..lots of hot water! You were right on Jeff! Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy & Carol

HAH HAHAHHAHAHHAHAH HAHHAHAHHAHHGA

Reply to