Water Heater Combustion Smell

First, you are replying to do different comments. The op described the smell and it wasn't the smell of gas combustion. Complete combustion doesn't smell, most of the smell you get from burning gas, is not a gas combustion product, it is unburned gas and odors from the parts that get hot.

If you want to talk about meaningful numbers of deaths and injuries try talking about falling down in the bathroom. People die. However, accidents cause relatively few deaths, and accidents where a person did not do something really stupid such as drive drunk, not look first, not put the draino where the kid couldn't reach it, etc. result in very few deaths statistically. Most people die of heart disease. If they really cared, they wouldn't smoke, they would stop eating 2000 more calories per day than they burn, quit drinking 12 beers each night. The statistics say that CO deaths are practically non existent. As an individual precaution it makes sense, but as advice to another it is a wasted of time. They are going to die of something else.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I have a Nighthawk too, and it is a good product compared to other CO detector. My wife insisted on it when we got a gas water heater and furnace about 5 years ago. It has never measured anything but zero except when it when bonkers when the power went off for a while and the battery ran down. It is probably the most useless too in my house. Way, way down the line from a blow torch which I haven't used in 25 years.

Sorry, this isn't helping. If you really want to know what is happening you will have to look at and in the burner when it is off and if you see no cause of the smell, you will need to look at it when the burner is on.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

If it was a reputable gas company, you can assume that he was using something like the Bacharach CO detector, but don't assume that it was working properly, or that the technician knew how to use it. You obviously have something wrong, and that guy didn't find the problem. Call another service company.

It's not hard to find a good company. If they return your calls in a timely manner, that's a real good start. If the technician can explain things to you in layman's terms that you understand, it's a good bet that he also understands what the problem is. If he's thorough in both his checks and his explanations, it's a good be that he wants a satisfied customer.

Reply to
Bob

Our town has a population of 35,000. The nearest city is 100 miles away. We don't have the choice of service companies that someone in a metropolitan area would have. Our gas company is the largest in the state, and I trust them much more than I would Joe's fix it shop. If I can't figure this out, I will just have another water heater installed, although this one still seems like new and works perfectly.

The next thing I will try is to hire a plumber I trust to check out the entire flue system.

Dick

Reply to
Dick