"water based paint" for cpvc

Thanks to "something" [1] that caused pinholes in my home's copper pipes I broke down and had the entire hou$e replumbed with cpvc.

Some of the pipes are outdoors though and the CPVC manufacturer recommends shielding them from UV to avoid brittleness. A "water based paint" of some unspecified type is an allowable covering.

Could someone suggest a suitable brand I might find in the US, or failing a brand name, a type I can look for that I guess won't be so reactive as to dissolve the cpvc? Thanks in advance

Reply to
Howard Goldstein

Any outdoor LATEX paint is water based. Benjamin Moore makes a good paint. Unless you have a huge amount of above ground pipes, you'll probably get away with just a quart of paint and a quart of primer. Pick a dark color - it cuts down on UV better.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

On 22 Dec 2004 14:39:17 GMT, Ed Clarke wrote: : In article , Howard Goldstein wrote: : : > Some of the pipes are outdoors though and the CPVC manufacturer : > recommends shielding them from UV to avoid brittleness. A "water : > based paint" of some unspecified type is an allowable covering. : : Any outdoor LATEX paint is water based. Benjamin Moore makes a good : paint. Unless you have a huge amount of above ground pipes, you'll : probably get away with just a quart of paint and a quart of primer. : Pick a dark color - it cuts down on UV better.

Thank you Ed, I'll look for the good paint. Do you think I'll be able to get decent UV veiling with with multiple coats of a lighter color on top of the primer to avoid a dark color? Or would a primer+darker color+primer+lighter color be better in that the outside of my home is painted off-white and the pipes would look funky if they weren't a close match.

Reply to
Howard Goldstein

On 12/23/2004 7:01 PM US(ET), Howard Goldstein took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I'm lost in all of this conversation. Where the hell is pvc pipe, used for water, above ground? I have a couple of grey electrical conduit pipes exposed for about 16" before they go into the ground, but no water pipes, pvc or otherwise.

Reply to
willshak

Places where water doesn't freeze. Generally that is coastal South Florida in the US, maybe southern Ca?

Reply to
Greg

On 12/23/2004 7:54 PM US(ET), Greg took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

So, when you are showing guests around your house, do you have to say, "Watch out you don't trip over that pipe there"?

Reply to
willshak

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:05:10 -0500, willshak wrote: : On 12/23/2004 7:54 PM US(ET), Greg took fingers to keys, and typed the : following: : : >>I'm lost in all of this conversation. Where the hell is pvc pipe, used : >>for water, above ground : >> : >>

: >

: >Places where water doesn't freeze. Generally that is coastal South Florida in : >the US, maybe southern Ca? : >

: : So, when you are showing guests around your house, do you have to say, : "Watch out you don't trip over that pipe there"?

Not needed unless they're spidermen. The pipes are affixed to exterior walls in three spots, two for hose spigots, and a pretty elaborate run outside the master bath. It was either run long lengths of pipe on the outside of the drywall that's tacked to cinderblock inside the bathroom like long plastic sore thumbs or do it this way where they could feed into the lavs and commode that conveniently point away from the wall.

(Points to Greg - SW Florida. But now Murphy will set us up for the first hard freeze in a decade)

Reply to
Howard Goldstein