Washing machines that are built like commercial machines?

It seems that my current maytag washer broke the clutch, that's very hard to get to. The motor and the tub pulley spin, but the tub does not engage. There were also some bad noises coming from there, as though a piece of metal was caught between some gears. These noises stopped, eventually, with no improvement.

It is not the first time when this washer breaks and I have just about had it.

I would like to buy a new washer that is built honestly, like Miller welders or Cummins engines, and not like cost engineered crap that does not last and is impossible to fix.

Such washers are, apparently, made, at least for commercial laundromats. (which would not fit our room) Is there a consumer version of that? Where plastic and potmetal is not used for major parts, and things are built to last "like they used to".

I do not mind paying top dollar for such a thing if it exists.

Any ideas?

Ignoramus22440

Many apartment buildings have Maytag commercial washers and dryers that are the same size as the "consumer" ones-- they're the same ones I've seen in laundromats, so I'm not sure why you think they wouldn't fit.

My landlord fixes them himself, and he says the insides are modular and easy to work on. I don't know where he buys them, but there must be companies that sell them to laundromats etc. Try the yellow pages. Or get friendly with your local laundromat owner and ask him where he buys stuff.

The ones in my building do malfunction occasionally but they're pretty old and beat up. The newer ones at the laundromat seem to work well.

Reply to
Ron Bean

Just get a commercial model, we had a set last 35 years, many brands have a commercial line of the same size. But when you see the price you will be suprised.

Reply to
m Ransley

Good idea, will do.

I looked at washing machines on the Web, it looks like the price depends on amount of "features" and LCD screen and software. No washing machine that I saw advertises "better built parts" or some such.

Ignoramus21474

How many of those are actually separate manufacturers, and how many are just "badge engineered" versions of the same thing?

Interesting-- they seem to last a long time, under heavy use (maybe I go to the wrong laundromats, but I've only ever seen the top loading ones, until very recently).

One thing people are forgetting is that if you have a 30 year old washer that still works fine, that doesn't mean they're still making that level of quality 30 years later.

Whirlpool recently bought Maytag.

Reply to
Ron Bean

You can save water and energy by going with a front-load consumer model. I don't know how reliable they are. As far as consumer vs. commercial, do the math, the annual cost of ownership on a regular washing machine is pretty low.

Reply to
ATP*

front loaders are crap. buy a bog standard top loader from a reputable name and you should have little problem. I overloaded ours and stripped the agitator. $60 bought a replacement one which has given no problems since. Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

FWIW- we have a two year old GE with mechanical controls (no electrocrap) and one of my kids wayyyy overloaded it to the point water was sloshing out over the tub. I took the front service panel off (30 second job) to see if anything important got drenched and was surprised to see that the machine was engineered with just this scenario in mind. Another surprise was that the pump is not driven by the main motor, but is a self-contained unit with it's own small motor- probably less $$ to operate. The machine looks to be easy to work on- all the service items are easy to reach or replace without tearing the thing to pieces (which might explain why GE sold it with a generous in-home warranty). Don't sell the consumer grade stuff short- there are some good products out there.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

To all people who say "I have a 20 year old XXX brand washer, and it still works fine": I think that things have changed since when you bought your favorite washer, and manufacturers learned to make cheap, bad products that would just last beyond the warranty period.

I have no doubt that these companies used to make good products. Then what often happens is that some asshole CEO comes on board, cheapens everything, enjoys a few years of great "profits" and bonuses, and then moves on to another company.

Ignoramus21474

This is what all business colleges and Wall Street are teaching the managers of today - plan for yourself, today. Let the rest of all the suckers care about their kids lives in the future. Managers are being told to manage for today only.

Reply to
syoung

That's nice to know (about GE). Thanks Carl. That said, we have a GE refrigerator that is not so well made.

Ignoramus21474

Partly, I think that the other responsible parties are mutual funds, and other institutions, that hold stock and only care about short term profits, and consumers, who do not make an effort to learn what is and what is not a good product.

Ignoramus21474

This is WHO is doing the telling when I say managers are being told to manage for today. This unabashed greed is what is bringing down the USA. I read recently where company officials in an eastern US state are trying to put steps in place so stockholders/shareholders of said company will have radically reduced control of the hiring/firing of upper level officials - extremely dangerous in my view. Rape & pillage a company, make ridiculous monies, ruin an organization, retire in wealth with no accountability. As a blue collar worker that's all I hear about from my managers - employees must have MORE accountability - yet THEY want to escape it at their level. Total & absolute hypocrisy.

Reply to
syoung

====================== /rant mode on

Why should I have to keep buying the same things over and over?

Washing Machines, Cars, Computers, etc.

Just upgraded the operating system on my main computer so I could run a 250 gig USB drive and now half of my software and peripherials such as the scanner won't work -- contact the manufacturer and get the old so sorry no support for old machine on new O/S but we give discount on new scanner.

Americans are being played for suckers. Reread "the Waste makers" by Packard" see

also see
/ran mode off

Unka George (George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations; even a democrat like myself must admit this. But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy, for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch," but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Roy,

The brands mentioned are for the most part commerical laundry equipment. All except the SpeedQueen-Hubshe are pretty much different machines. Except for a typical square cabinet model that is produced and rebadged between SpeedQueen, Hubshe and Unimac. Other than this model most models produced by these mentioned before are all different under the hood.

The topload models in the laundry-mats only appear to last longer. But note there are some brand on the market for the home that would never make it more than a year or so in a laundry. GE, Whirlpool, Speedqueen and Maytag are the only topload machines I know of that appear in a laundry-mat, in my humble opinion, the Maytag and Speedqueen are the best of the bunch and tend to last about 5 to 9 years before being worn out. That figure seems to be getting closer to 5 years anymore though.

You might notice that I mentioned my home washer was a 35 year washer, yep, the difference is great in todays models and those of yesteryear, hence the reason I just keep on repairing the old gal until I can't no longer.

Another thing, I might offer to someone thinking about buying a commerical type of washer. Keep in mind, it will need to be serviced one day. Make darn sure there will be someone around to do it. You will find most appliance repair guys won't even bother to look at a commerical unit for one reason or another.

Reply to
elf

Last time I bought a computer was in 1995.

Since then, I simply kept upgrading it. The only thing left from the old computer is the floppy drive.

By the way, linux is much better about supporting legacy hardware.

Thank you, I just bought it, for 22 cents... Sounds like it will be an interesting read.

Ignoramus21474

I don't get it. People say things don't last like they used to but how many of you are using 1950's, 60's, or 70's washing machines or cars? Why would you want to drive a 1970's gas guzzler with a POS carb that you have to rebuild every so often. Man, I never want to go back to that old technology. Well, I do have a 69 VW where it is fun to tinker with but I sure don't want a daily driver like that. I also like not having keep adjusting my clothes in the washing machine when they get off balance like the old machines I have used. The new one I have automatically compensates for all of that. Also, if manufacturers make things that last forever, eventually there will be so many and no more will need to be made. Then what happens? They go out of business and you can't even find parts to repair your "last for ever" washing machine.

Welcome to the land of reality where things wear out or become obsolete and need to be replaced. And, if you want to go and use that TRS-80 or IBM PC Jr be my guest. I am sure you can find some software out there for it if you look hard enough. But don't expect to be doing any of the cool stuff that the new ones do.

Gary H

"Last time I bought a computer was in 1995.

Since then, I simply kept upgrading it. The only thing left from the old computer is the floppy drive. "

Seriously? I have had to buy new cases and power supplies to keep up with the new motherboard and CPU specs.

Gary H

Sure, I am on my third power supply, second case, and will hopefully upgrade again this weekend. New MB, power supply, CPU, video card and memory. Everything else will stay.

Ignoramus21474

There seems to be enough people who like their 20 year old washing machines.

As for cars, I think that they were using planned obsolescence in those times that you are mentioning.

Ignoramus21474