Washing machine sometimes STOPS for no reason

We have a relatively new (2.5 year old) maytag washing machine.

Sometimes it just STOPS in the middle of the washing cycle for no reason. I turn the knob a few times, unplug the machine a couple of times, and after a while it helps to get it restarted to, say, a spin mode. Then I have to redo the washing. It is becoming very annoying and I would like to know if this perhaps has a common cause.

Ignoramus15011

I just found my door switch was loose and it caused the same problem.

Reply to
mark Ransley

When it happens, push down on the top loading door, right above the area where the door switch is located.

Sometimes, the door switch gets out of adjustment, or just goes bad, tne trip mechanisn fatigues with time, and gets real touchy about tripping.

If it senses the door is open (when it is not), then the cycle will just stop, sometimes intermittently.

Pushing down on the door and tripping the door switch will let the washer continue whatever cycle it is in.

Later, vibration, whatever, will "trip" the door switch again.

If this is it, replace the door switch---

Lemmee know how it turns out, ok? :-)))

Best---- Ron

Reply to
Ron G

One possibility is an unbalanced load. This usually happens during the spin cycle, however. You might try unplugging (for safety's sake) and stirring the laundry around a bit, and plugging back in.

Reply to
Frogleg

On top loading washers a lid switch will usually only effect the spin cycle not the wash. On a front loading machine (the OP never said), a door switch problem would likely effect all cycles.

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

The exact model model number might help as they are not all designed the same. You can find tips for locating the model number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below.

I assume it is a top loading model and not a front loader?

These is no one common cause. It could be bad contacts in the timer, loose wiring or wire connector or possibly the motor overheating and cutting out on its internal overload protector.

Basically it will need to be determined if the motor is getting power when it stops. If not, the motor circuit would have to be traced to see where it stops.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Did it start doing that since Gordon Jump died? Check out the Maytag web site as they might offer some info. Grumpy

Reply to
Grumpy OM