Warmer upstairs vs. downstairs

We are in a relatively new house with a heat pump system. The upper level is on average 5-10 degrees warmer than the lower level. Upper level has an air return which takes air from the master bedroom and the hallway. What suggestions/tips to help better cool the upper level?

Thanks

Reply to
synergy3000

In summer: close off some supply vents on 1st floor to force additional cold air to the second floor. If your thermostat has a setting for continuous fan setting, you might try using that to keep the air circulating, bringing the warm air that rises to the 2nd floor down.

In winter: close off supply vents on 2nd floor to force more warm air out the vents on the 1st floor.

Install ceiling fans in bedrooms to move air - the air will feel cooler if it is moving.

Reply to
Mark

Hmmm, Law of physics. Unless you have two zone system, upstairs tend to be warmer no matter what. On top of the suggestions already given installing ceiling fan(s) is another option. My system fan is running on low speed all the time. And have two ceiling fans upstairs.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Closing downstairs registers will help but your risk is freezing the coil from reduced airflow, you might want pro advise as to how much you can close them, I put a remote thermometer just above my coil to see how low I can go by closing off the first floor. You dont want to freeze the coil.

Reply to
m Ransley

That's easy to solve. Simply rotate the upstairs of the house to the downstairs every few hours. An automated whole house rotator will easily solve the problem. Whenever the upstairs becomes 5 degrees warmer than the downstairs, the upstairs is lowered and the downstairs rasied to the top. This is done automatically 24 hours a day without human intervention. Systems are reasonably priced and operates on a common 120 VAC 20A receptacle.

Reply to
president