Laminate Flooring question?

Hi, installing some laminate floating floor and am woundering about the direction I should lay the stuff. House is 25 X 34, I want to install the flooring in the 25 foot direction because my dinette and living room is on that side of the house. this would be running along my floor joist not across them, but would mean I would be cutting every peice of floor 36 inchs right down the hall way. Someone else told me to run the flooring across my joist which would mean that I would have to cut my last peice of flooring the entire length of my hall way. what do you recommend.

Here is a link to picture i draw to show the floor layout.

Waylon

I used engineered wood, but ran it the way you did. For a normal wood floor, it makes some sense to run it across the joist for better support. For laminate or engineered wood, you run it the way you want it to appear.

Do not cut every piece to 36" though, or it will look more like a ladder. From the rest of the floor you may have some short pieces. Use them, cut a piece to fit. Then do a full piece, then use the cut off from the first and make a mate for it. This will stagger the seams and look more natural, IMO.

Some say to run the floor the way the light comes in the window. That makes it look longer and has less shadow from imperfections.

I say, do it the way YOU like it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Put it in so it will look best.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You lay the board so the long side points toward the light. Normally in a hallway that means the long side points down the hall. It will look better that way even if the hall is dark and some light comes from the rooms that open on the side of the hall. Also the waste should be much less laying it the long way down the hall, since the piece you cut off will be the starter piece for the next row.

The direction of the joists has no importance to laminate flooring. The subfloor just needs to be level and firm.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon