Want to buy a generator

"Toller" wrote

We have all done stupid things. Hoo boy, I'm the guiltiest. The differences are: some of us got caught; some of us got hurt; some got off lucky; some didn't pay the consequences. And yet there's another group who have the sick need to pontificate, the whole time denying that they are not in any group except the superior illuminati that neither makes mistakes nor has any tolerance for those who do.

Makes about as much sense as a man who claims to be honest or without sin.

Steve, who's going over to sit on the "GROUP W" bench.

Reply to
SteveB

Oh, please. Stop this "superior illuminati" BS. Anyone that runs a generator in a basement despite all the warning labels on the generator, manual warnings, and common sense meets the common definition of stupid. If someone dies under those circumstances it is stupidity that caused the death. To suggest that someone that calls this action stupid has some superiority issue is just bogus. When I was a 10 year old I knew better. To make this sound like it's just "shit happens" to everyone, is a lame attempt to absolve those responsible. And it perpetuates stupid people continuing to do stupid things, because your're telling them it wasn't their own stupid action that caused the bad result, it was just some random bad luck that happens to everyone.

Reply to
trader4

Your e-mail is dead. Contact me if you like.

Reply to
C & E

Some hints.

  • Hedges or other bushes help muffle and dampen the noise.
  • I suggest both a chain and padlock, and a large dog. Generators are a very high theft item. Chain it to something secure, and chain the dog down, too. Helps if the dog is slightly hungry at the time.
  • What works for me, in the evening. Put a galon of gas in, and then when the generator runs out of gas, it's bedtime. Let the generator cool for a few minutes, and bring it indoors. (Cool, out of gas and not running, silly, before anyone flames me.)
  • If you use ether spray, spray it onto the air filter. If you remove the spark plug and spray ether into the cylinder, you will lock up the piston and turn your generator into a piece of worthless junk. A neighbor did this to my Dad.
  • I bought a 1200 watt ETQ off Ebay. Two cycle gas mixer. I was amazed how quiet it is. Someday I'll drill a hole in the air cleaner cover so I can spray ether right onto the foam element.
  • Honda has a reputation for being totally dependable and very quiet. Also twice the price. One time during a power cut, some friends of mine borrowed their brother's Honda. It wouldn't start, so I went over and give it a squirt of ether. Started right up. No idea how old the gas was, no one there knew.
  • Be a good neighbor, don't run your generator after the neighborhood kids are supposed to be in bed.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Makes sense. Right now I am thinking of supporting one reefer, one freezer, one 6000BTU widow A/C, one TV, a few lights. I have been considering a Pep Boys $900 generator that offers 9500 'surge' watts.

10 gallons of gasoline should cover 10 months of 'backup' support. I could re-plenish each gallon I would use monthly for one-hour's running.

Delaware. Furnace is a good idea, I use propane now. I have no idea how I would 'switch-in' a generator source to keep the furnace running. Same concern form our 220V submersed water pump. Since wife and I are 'senior' senior citizens, it is a major concern for us to stay warm. The window A/C can sustain us in the summer, obviating a need for central air.

No

No

Reply to
Jethro

just a small note to Franks comment above. I live in S.Florida and run my Central A/C using just a small 5500w honda generator. in addition to the Central A/C, it also runs refrigerator, lights, TV, fans, computer, one burner on stove

this is all possible since the AC uses dual compressors, variable speed blower and I have the ability to turn off the larger compressor when running on generator. power consumption for just the AC is only 1200w and starting load is under 2.2kw, easily handled by the capacitor inside the AC

Reply to
Kyla

Sounds like you have a good set up. I already have a window A/C on an enclosed sun porch, and so we can migrate into that room to stay cool if need be. Power to that A/C is 110V and wattage is only 6K I think,

Furnace heat though is another matter. I can't simply plug that into the generator - no plug.

Thanks

Jethro

Reply to
Jethro

Do I understand you live in Delaware too? I and two other neighbors used Paul Nickel electricians to put in transfer boxes. His price and service is good. He also put in a new main panel for me as old panel was not a good unit and prone to not flipping breakers when you needed to. Retired electrical supervisor I know agreed with him and said price was good. Not sure how big his service area is if you live downstate. Transfer box hooks into main box and circuits like well, furnace and freezer plugs are wired to it. When you use the generator you flip a switch in the transfer box, turn on the generator and just plug it in from box plug. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Yep! Rehoboth as a matter of fact. I am guessing your man is 'way up north? I hadn't thought about a complete transfer set up from generator to circuit breaker box, but maybe that is affordable? I doubt it, but ???.

I also wondered about moving the breakers in the box so that the essentials were on same buss, and then that buss could be activated by the generator without the rest. I move said breakers myself. That might take more than a 9500W generator could handle however - especially if it included the elec stove and H/W heater.

Thanks for response.

Jethro

Reply to
Jethro