Vinyl Windows - Cost ???

If they are not "Energy Star" certified and have complete independant prformance tests then they still are not up to the best standards. In sliders name brands like Marvin , Anderson, Pella are of proven quality.

Reply to
ransley

Well i asked the guy about that, and was told they are actually not 'sealed' but there is no reason for the gas to leave. Argon does not expand and contract, so therefore the cavity does not 'breathe'. ?? Who's to say? And how could you ever prove it was gone?

S. Barker

I am in New Jersey and have been pricing replacement windows. The price is the cost of the window plus the cost to install it.

One contractor I know charges $110 per window for the installation. Another charges $100 per window for the installation. That's the labor -- not including the cost of the actual window. That includes rip-out and removal, installation of the new window, all of the capping and or caulking, etc. By the way, any aluminum you have can be put at the curb in front of your house and it will be gone within a few hours at the most. People driving by just pick it up because they can sell it for recycling.

The cost to purchase the windows varies. I see some at Home Depot and Lowes for roughly $150/window (+/-), depending on the size and quality. The cost for me to order them from a window supply place near me is about the same.

So, I'm figuring about $250 to $300 total cost per window to have vinyl replacement windows installed.

Reply to
BETA-35

Just because the cost at a home center is the same as the cost at a window supply house, you might not be getting a window of equal quality.

While it's hard to do a perfect 1-to-1 comparison across multiple brands, it appeared to me that at each price point, the windows from the contractor supply house were one step above the windows from the home center.

In other words, the supply house didn't carry anything that matched the "in stock" window from the home center. Their least expensive window matched the first level upgrade at the home center, but the price was the same as the home centers in stock window. Plus, I got to talk one-on-one with people in the business and recieved a lot of valuable advice.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Exactly. And I'll add that for most of us (one house, living there for years and years), price cutting in reasonable ways is ok but you want a higher quality product if you can afford it.

A person fixing a rental unit is not quite as concerned with the heating/cooling factors of a window unless the place comes with that as part of the rent. They may be more concerned with how strongly the unit is constructed though so as to last through poor tenant practices. A homeowner will be gentle with their own windows, a renter will not be because if it breaks, 'it's someone elses problem to fix it'.

Reply to
cshenk

A homeowner

That's why I put in my leases that the first $50 in repairs for each problem is paid by the renter, not the landlord. Lou

Reply to
Lou