Vines growning from within bushes?

Not necessarily iced. Real scotch connoisseurs don’t add water or ice.

Some do advocate quite literally just a drop of the best water that they claim brings out the flavour, but that is silly given that a lot more than than that is added to what comes out of the still before it is aged in the barrel before drinking decades later.

And that’s scotch whisky, not the cross dressing hairy legged haggis chasers.

Reply to
Joshua Snow

If I am going to all the trouble to paint individual plants I am using triclopyr. I am not screwing around with glyphosate that a lot of weeds just laugh at.

Reply to
gfretwell

Missing out -- a single-malt Scotch neat in brandy snifter on a cold evening in front of the fire is hard to beat... :)

Reply to
dpb

Not with someone who isnt a drinker who may well not realise that scotch is a subset of whisky and not a person and doesn’t realise that the correct name for a person is scott, not scotch.

Reply to
Joshua Snow

That is basically Garlon (Tryclopyr). It kicks Glyphosate's ass.

Reply to
gfretwell

That was one way of referring to individuals rather than the drink. And it isnt too much information.

Reply to
Joshua Snow

Or cut off the top part, but leave a couple feet near the ground that you can pull out of the bush to apply the Roundup. Or if it the top is accessible growing above the bush, treat that part with RU, without getting it on the bush. Gloves and a rag work.

Reply to
trader_4

He means the concentrated RU or glyphosate which is readily available. IDK what the top concentration is, but I have one that is just under 50%, that's the highest I've seen. You probably don't need anything that high. Typical for dealing with common weeds is 3%. Maybe 10% for tough to kill. The key is how much actually gets applied. If you can get to part of the vine with leaves, either near the ground when it's starting to regrow or coming out of the top of the bush, you'll deliver a lot more RU than if you paint just the cut off end.

That stuff lasts pretty much indefinitely, so it might be worth it. Should be able to find 2.5 gal for ~$50. But if you can't use it, then get a quart of brush killer product instead. It's other chemicals and much stronger for use on tough stuff like vines.

Reply to
trader_4

Good point. I said you can find RU 48% for about $50 for 2.5 gallons, but that is for the generic, ie glyphosate, eg Razor. The name brand is more expensive. Worst of all is buying the ready made stuff for $10 a pop for a half gallon. You can make a couple hundred gallons from the 2.5 gallon concentrate. When buying one I'd make sure it includes a surfactant too. Razor does.

Reply to
trader_4

But applying neat/concentrated roundup to the cut main stem kills the root a lot better than applying roundup to the leaves.

Reply to
Joshua Snow

Thanks for the good ideas. It may be too cold before I do t h is stuff, but there is next spring.

I didn't know anyhone used roundup after all the bad press, and I didn't know roundup (or the eequivalent) killed vines inthe first place.

I did one time get a little crabgrass etc. poison on a branch of the tulip tree when spraying the grass with the garden hose. I lost 5 big leaves worth.

And I lost a bunch of low lying evergreen bushes within a few years of that, the first bush soon after, and I have suspected that I killed it. (It also had cedar apple whatever, a disease t hat goes back and forth between apple trees and cedar bushes, but iirc that ended years earlier with only the loss of a few little bush branches (and the trees. I bought the last bottle of the only poison that was supposed to kill the disease. I think they wereen't making any more because it was dangerous, and I coudln't get up enough nerve to use it.).

Reply to
micky

I heard that somewhere**. I try to be dormant myself in the cool and cold weather, but I'll do it then if that's called the best time.

**Very recently, maybe in this thread.
Reply to
micky

Scot, not scott.

Whoosh. Yes it was.

Reply to
micky

Thanks for all the helpful advice about annoying vines.

I came across this probably sponsored by Monsanto, but anyhow:

What Foods Have Glyphosate?

Honey Nut Cheerios Medley Crunch (830 ppb) Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bars, Maple Brown Sugar (566 ppb) Nature Valley Granola Cups, Almond Butter (529 ppb) Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheerios (400 ppb) Nature Valley Baked Oat Bites (389 ppb) Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bars, Oats and Honey (320 ppb)

More items...Feb 20, 2020

This would explain why there are no vines growing in my Cheerios.

Not that they are only parts per billion!

Oh, the article says this is a bad thing. I guessed wrong. And the url is clearly not by Monsanto.

Reply to
micky

It depends what the problem is.

(Roundup, Eraser, Killzall and other brands) or triclopyr (Brush-B-Gon, Brush Killer and other brands) are commonly recommended for weedy vine control.

Triclopyr is generally recommended for woody vines and glyphosate for herbaceous vines (although triclopyr is considered better against cayratia than glyphosate).

start of the article makes it look like he's plagiarizing, but it's the same guy, Dan Gill, LSU AgCenter Horticulturist]

Glyphosate (Roundup, Eraser, Killzall and other brands) or triclopyr (Brush-B-Gon, Brush Killer, Cut Vine and Stump Killer and other brands) are commonly recommended for weedy vine control.

Triclopyr is generally recommended for woody vines, and glyphosate is recommended for herbaceous vines (although triclopyr is considered better than glyphosate against cayratia). Herbicides that contain a combination of dicamba (banvel) and 2,4-D also work well, but you must be more careful with these. Once a vine dies, it may be removed.

VINES. For most herbaceous vines, a systemic herbicide containing glyphosate (e.g., Accord®, Roundup®, Rodeo®) can be applied to the foliage at a rate of 1-3% mixed in water. If needed, the rate can be increased but not above the rate provided on the pesticide label.

WOODY VINES. For most woody vines, the most effective method of control is to cut the vine stem and apply a concentrated mix of systemic herbicide immediately to the cut surface. If foliar treatment is necessary, it is important to take measures to reduce off-site and non-target effects.

Reply to
micky

We have lots of stuff here that laughs an Glyphosate. It barely wilts the leaves straight out of the bottle. Wedalia is one. Air Potato would be another. It will knock the leaves off but the plant comes right back. Same with Brazilian Pepper.

Reply to
gfretwell

I was thinking of that. Advertising on Next Door, but then for some reason instead of looking for Roundup or some other brand, I just googled home depot glyphosphate

and what did I find, only , 16 ounces. Grass And Weed Killer Glyphosate Concentrate for only $11.33.

But maybe more amazing is that for $11.95, 62cents more, I can't get twice as much.
I don't think of Compare N Save as a brand to search for!! ;-)

And pick up at the store in 5 to 8 days, but free delivery in 7 days, on a product that only costs $11.33. I once had something shipped to the store, Hoem Depot, and I thought it would come to them wth the regular deliveries, but when I picked it up, I think it had UPS or USPS packaging, so if they're going to do that, they might as well ship it to me.

Using their own search page found the 2 things above and even found a RoundUp product

mentions glyphosphate a little, but no %ages

I guess not. :-)

BTW, I already have triclopyr in one of t he Ortho products I bought, that attaches to the garden hose, which means it's concentrated. So I'm good for various kinds of vines.

I never knew one could kill them this way.

It's a shame because I didn't know how to stop it and I let the Creeping Charlie spread and just choppped it down with the lawn mower, but it's made my lawn lumpy. If I were a new owner, I'd dig up every lump or rototill the whole yard or whatever it takes to start over. But I'm not doing that.

Reply to
micky

Mode of Action: Triclopyr is an auxin mimic or synthetic auxin. This type of herbicide kills the target weed by mimicking the plant growth hormone auxin (indole acetic acid), and when administered at effective doses, causes uncontrolled and disorganized plant growth that leads to plant death.

Sounds complicated, high-tech, and scarey!

Reply to
micky

Glyphosate kills plants by inhibiting

5-enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate synthase (EPSPS). EPSPS is a key enzyme in the shikimate biosynthetic pathway which is necessary for the production of the aromatic amino acids, auxin, phytoalexins, folic acid, lignin, plastoquinones and many other secondary products.
Reply to
dpb

Sound almost natural to me. Rose galls, oak galls, witches brooms and the like.

Reply to
FromTheRafters