On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:57:37 -0500, "CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert"
:> I am planning an attic mold cleanup-- Conventional wisdom is to use
:> bleach and water, but when I google it... I get a lot of hits saying
:> that it is a myth that Bleach kills mold.
:> The EPA brochure does little to clear it up.
:> Anyone with any real-world experience or other good info.
:I can say for certain it turns it a perly white :) As for wether or not
:its dead, I couldn't say. I don't see why bleach would kill mold, its
:not that harsh of a chemical. Perhaps thats why we like to use it.
Undoubtedly, bleach is a very effective fungicide (i.e. it kills mold
DEAD). Of course, like any poison, it depends on the strength you use.
You don't have to and shouldn't use full strength bleach to kill mold.
Even full strength from the bottles they sell, it's around 5% sodium
hypochlorite. For an effective fungicide, use ~25% solution of that -
i.e. 1 part bleach from the bottle, 3 parts water. Now even that's
pretty potent and you could use a weaker solution effectively, is my