varnish interact with vinyl, cleaning

I have a vinyl roll-up chess board that was touching some varnished wood. Some sort of interaction happened, and the varnish stuck to the chessboard, making it unusable, unless I can get the sticky varnish to come off. I tried Murphy oil soap, Mr. Clean eraser, and Orange glow, and nothing was working satisfactorily. Is there anything that will help get the varnish off without damaging the vinyl?

Reply to
Jud McCranie