used water heater

I know someone that has a used Rheem 40 gal gas water heater. He claims it was only installed for about a year or two and then removed when he renovated the house a few years back. It has been sitting in his garage since.

Would it be worth installing at my house. IT almost Sounds like trouble

Reply to
scale

How long has it been sitting since it was used? Why was it replaced then?

It may be a gem or it may be worthless. Hard to say.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

True.

In my last house, I have a water heater start leaking and my father-in-law just happened to have a used one in his shed. It had been sitting there for

20 years! I figured, it was a weekend and I needed it now so I would hook it up and get another later.

I forgot about getting another one until 6 years later.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

i would guess it has been sitting for about 3 years now.

It was replaced because he wanted a 80 gallon or something for larger demand.

He said there was some rust starting to form at the bottom from sitting.....which makes me leary of it...

Reply to
scale

Rust where? If it is the sheet metal housing, no big deal.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That rust is likely just sheet metal, not part of the actual tank.

I would go for it, assuming it is free.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I agree with other posters that its probably OK. If the rust is on the feet or outside you are probably OK. Also, as long as it was drained and did not freeze. If its gas, look at the mechanics and make sure they look in reasonable condition. If it has any dents it could be trouble because the lining could be busted up. if no dents then you are good to go.

If your really anal, you can replace the dip tube(s), pressure relief valve and washer on the drain. Flush out with clean water first, if full of gunk/rust then get a new one. If it runs clear pretty quickly then go for it. Install it with a pan plumbed to drain or sump if a leak will cause issues. Whats the worst that can happen?

Reply to
No

Better yet replace the drain valve with something that did not come out of a CrackerJax box like most of the ones that come on water heaters.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Ya, I was thinking of the 'real' one on my 'cold water heater' and what any washer may look like if it became brittle or dry rotted over many years. Probably not an issue for the OP but hey, I said if he were anal.

I know somone who "replace all the rubber" on his vehicles every year or two. All hoses, belts, some gaskets and of course tires - whether they need it or not.

Reply to
No

Actually replacing all of that rubber stuff every 4-5 years is not a bad idea. The tyre companies and safety people are suggesting replacing tyres based not just on lack of tread, but also on age.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Rust from the outer casing means nothing, rust from the inner tank means is not good. You need to pull the burner and clean it and make sure it is working ok. No telling what cooties are lurking there, and many insects like the smell of gas, especially leaf cutter bees which will plug every small hole. When you clean he burner you should be able to tell if the tank is rusting or just the outside sheet metal. I would suggest that it is probably just the sheet metal, if the tank has remained empty.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

"Joseph Meehan" wrote

Isn't that ridiculous? I understand saving money and every penny counts (during the manufacturing process), but come on!

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

No kidding, they save 50¢ by using total junk.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan