use of a vacuum by painting contractor

Ask your painter!!! I would be quite confident that your painter knows the laws. He may have already tested for lead. It is a very simple "wipe and look" type process available at any good paint store. If there is lead based paint, there are procedures to follow. I don't know all the procedures required for painters, but using a negative air machine is one for asbestos work. They just did a water tower here a few years ago and had to completely shroud the thing till it was blasted and sealed.

The cautions, codes, and laws are there to prevent contaminating other people or properties whether air born or ground contamination from drainage water. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

First its near impossible to remove by sanding ALL lead based paint, it not only absorbs in the wood but is in nooks and cranies that cant be easily reached.

the environmental laws are there to protect EVERYONE and lead is a major hazard to kids. I have a friend with a mentally impaired daughter, slow would be a old time description. nice gal special ed. lead was implicated in her troubles but they will never know for sure.

as far as I am concerned its better to live by the law than put yourself or thers at risk and I hope anyone who breaks the law gets heavily fined or goes to jail.

a local contractor was caught not following the rules when painting bridges and water towers, he put so many at risk and is currently serving his 15 year well deserved sentence in prison, he also lost his family to divorce his business and all his money, once he is out of prison he will be paying 50% of whatever salary he manages to earn till he dies of old age...

he made extra $ by falsifying the reports.

all you need is some heavy duty fines and all contractors will follow the rules.

thats better than having adults with a mental abilty of 6 years old thanks to lead in the environment.

if someone did sand all the paint off your home years ago the lead is likely still in the soil, at home reasle time this may devalue your home, or leave you at risk for a large lawsuit from a future owner, since you are now aware of the risk and dont tell them..........

correct.

Reply to
hallerb

Since Greenland was green when discovered I doubt it will be vacationland soon.

Reply to
Nick Hull

I was thinking more long term :o)

Reply to
Norminn

You came here upset by your neighbors comments looking for approval on your contractor choice and job. you wanted a rose colored glass everything is fine response.

you know someone may turn in your home which could bring about a costly clean up. heck yopu may be stuck paying the costs of soil removal around your home. all trucked to a hazardous waste landfill.

yeah costs for jobs to meet codes can result in higer contractor fees....

the day will come where when selling a home requires a lead test of soil near home. your home may fail, thus being a hazard to kids, cutting the final home price.

just like a old or leaking oil tank, bad gas line, bad roof etc cuts the house price or makes it impossible to sell.

go ahead and enjoy your rose colored glasses but be aware someday this may come back to bite you..............

Reply to
hallerb

Trollllllin for bs in my neck of the USA

Reply to
m Ransley

Yeah, he came to get some gratification, but instead, has you running the Doomsday Machine. Have you seen the dust and analyzed it?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

just making him aware of the risks, and just for the record I quit treating my lawn years ago, it has weeds but the birds bunnies and wildlife can play safely on my lawn.

want to bet this contractor was the cheapest? may even be his brother in law doing a side job.......

old owner wouldnt admit lead paint and really should of disclosed it at time of sale.

Reply to
hallerb