Leakproofing Spa thermostat entrance

I have a very old spa that likes to give me headaches.

It has a hole for inserting the thermostat's bulb, which unfortunately is very close to some other object insidethe control unit, so I can insert the bulb, but just barely.

The hole is in a PVC fitting with threads on the outer side and hole on the inside where I put the bulb through. Anyway, my question is, what is a good way to prevent leaks in that area where the bulb enters the hole. Plumbers putty does not seem to work well in the long run.

thanks

Ignoramus4299

Scratch my question. I realized that what I need is called a "thermowell". I will install just that.

Ignoramus4299

If your spa is in good condition and you're happy with the size, # of jets, etc. it might be a good investment to upgrade it with a new "Spa Kit". Basically these include a new pump, heater, and electronic controls that will be MUCH nicer than your old-fashioned controls and air-bulb triggers...

Cost is something like $400-$500 if you do it yourself...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

You have a good point, but what I have, basically works okay and just needs a couple of upgrades (timer and that thermowell). If the old control goes bad, or the pump breaks, I will definitely consider buying a new spa pack as you say. There is limited space and poor access to the spa front, so I prefer not to go this route (full upgrade) if possible. It means at least a week wasted on evening work.

Ignoramus7272