Update: F*&%ing heat...

How sick of me are you guys? :-)

The same thing happened with the hea two days in a row - tell me what you think...

I get home, turn up the thermo from 62 to 72, system kicks on - I wait

10 minutes, then I bleed all the radiators again - from top to bottom (all give out only clear water), then I go to check on the boiler. outbound pipe that has the issues was hot, then it went cold (while the burner is cooking!)...all the inbound pipes were hot.

I check the radiators, only 5 of the 8 are hot. Two are cold, one lukewarm. I mean ice cold...I do a quick bleed on these two, and cold water comes out...

Back to the basement - the system kicks off - the air release valve over the expansion tank gives off 4 or 5 quick hisses, then the circulator on the inbound pipe kicks in, then the burner turns back on...at this point, the outbound pipe gets hot -real hot, and in 5 minutes the three cold radiators are blazing hot.

So essentially, If I waited 20 minutes, all the radiators would get hot, just some faster than others...Is this right?

Also, my expantion tank has a air nipple on the bottom, like on the tire of a bike...Is this to pump in air or to let it out? Thanks,

Bluesman

Reply to
hotblues20

Jeff,

The water column needs to maintain a certain minimum pressure in order to fill to the highest point in the system. This pressure depends upon the difference in height between the highest and the lowest points in the system.

Gary Lloyd has at least twice asked you some simple questions, he is most likely your very best bet to help you with your problem, yet it appears you have completely ignored him.

Perhaps you have bigger problems than it would at first appear?

--dammit

Reply to
_Dammit_tell me the answer now

I told you how to check out the fill pressure in the other thread. Let me know when you are done screwing around.

_______________

Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software Written by a veteran Service Technician

Gary R. Lloyd

EXTREME CAUTION! Lloyd is a retired HVAC tech of dubious credentials who is posting only so he can promote his very expensive book. He has great distain for your abilities to do anything yourself. He thinks you need to hire one of his brothers to fix anything.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Geeeeez, you're a poor loser. How old are you?

Here comes that SPAM again:

_______________

Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software Written by a veteran Service Technician

Gary R. Lloyd

Yep, you have done a great job of proving everything I've said. You are here to advertise, not to help. That's the only reason you are here.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

ROFLMAO

_______________

Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software Written by a veteran Service Technician

Gary R. Lloyd

BB, you are an ass! Dubious credentials, what a laugh! Gary is one of the few that will help homeowners! Sure he has books to sell, but the average Joe home owner has zero use for his books! The books are intended for HVAC techs, not for home owners! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

posted for all of us....

jeffy is that you? Pretty sick of YOU. YOU are a sick MIND.

Obviously you haven't

Jeffy, you EVER going to learn to use a search engine?

Now get back on your meds and get the heck out of here with your stupid, inane, already discussed, crap questions. You won't comprehend any reasonable answer. You are a bipolar troll. Go away and let the rest of us alone.

happy Festivus

Reply to
Tekkie

Gary R. Lloyd posted for all of us....

Gary, this my troll buddy, Jeffy. He's bipolar & currently off his meds.

Reply to
Tekkie

Bill,

Suggest then *YOU* put our money where your mouth is.....and go on ahead help out poor lil Jeffery, instead of devoting your efforts to ragging on Gary.

*You* wanna test the expansion tank, then *YOU* can hold Jeffery's hand and go ahead and describe how to do that it all in minute detail...........

Once thats proven okay, whatcha goina do next, hmmmmmm ?

Oh, I almost forgot---written any books lately ????

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

That would explain the apparent lack of interest in actually fixing the system.

_______________

Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software Written by a veteran Service Technician

Gary R. Lloyd

I've been doingthat since the get go, fucktard.

We are not testing the tank. He asked how to DRAIN the tank. That's why you are a lousy tech. You don't listen, you just run your ignorant pie hole. I already gave him the basics, and I'm sure he will ask if he has any questions.

You mean self-published, poorly edited ones full of bad advice written by a retired plumber who stumbled along for 35 years before they pulled his license? That kind of book?

I'm thinking I should maybe come play in the HVAC group for awhile. Yelling at me isn't going to have any effect, so I could be there for quite a while. Keep inviting me.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Nope, I got it right the first time. Is this an invitation for me to start buzzing around in the HVAC group? Sounds like it!

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

You gave him the basics for draining YOUR tank. He has an entirely different type of tank. You just assumed that his system is identical to your system.

Yet another subject that you know absolutely nothing about, yet you pretend to be an expert on.

LOL

_______________

Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software Written by a veteran Service Technician

Gary R. Lloyd

Will it keep you from giving out bad advice to unsuspecting homeowners? If so, buzz away.

The fact that you don't know isn't a problem. The problem is that you don't know that you don't know. Delusion can be dangerous. Self-delusion more so.

_______________

Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software Written by a veteran Service Technician

Gary R. Lloyd

Yep.

Nope.

Yep.

Nope.

Wrong again. I have asked him for relevant information in order to properly troubleshoot his system. I gave him step-by-step instructions on how to obtain that information. The next phase is step-by-step instructions on how to fix it.

Unfortunately, he prefers to freeze his ass off, screw around with his expansion tank, and bleed air from his system daily.

_______________

Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software Written by a veteran Service Technician

Gary R. Lloyd

Hey, take it easy. You guys all went banannas all of a sudden. For the record I am not Jeff, I am Steve, The Bluesman...And I appreciate the help of both Gary and BB, as well as everyone else who has taken the time to respond.

Gary, regular pressure is 12 psi when cold, 20-25 when hot. total height of the system is about 25-30 feet. (2 story colonial, burner in basement, 8 foot cielings)

Since the system eventually gets completely hot - is it really a pressure problem, or a circulation problem? It seemed that the hot water was there, waiting to go, but it needed to get to a certain temp before the circulator on the inbound pipe would click and allow the water to flow back through the loop, getting all the pipes hot.

This is based merely on what I observed the last two days.

I am not messing with the exp tank - just wondering what the air nipple on the bottom is for.

Gary, if the symptoms come back, I will try your pressure test - but I am wary of draining water from the boiler - the last thing I want to do is introduce more air into the system.

Thanks,

Bluesman

Reply to
hotblues20

I've never claimed to be an hvac tech, and the fact is Ive never even worked on a boiler type system in my life--indeed, I've never even been in the same room as one, for that matter.

Now could you please tell us again exactly what draining the tank is going to accomplish ???

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

It will remove the water from the tank. Don't stand directly underneath while he's draining it, or you'll get soaked!

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor