update

Update on well problems.

After all the work, we found that the original NEW pump that we had bought for the well had actually been returned to HD as not working.

They simply put it back on the shelf.

We knew that that there could be a problem, since the box was open but the sales guy said the pump was OK.

Should not have listened.

We checked the water level by the string with a nut on the end of it and found we have at least 4-5 feet of water in the well pipe.

Got a new pump and we are now pumping water.

There is still a problem in that there is a pressure tank on the old well pump that we installed on the new one.

Problem is; pump pumps up to 40 #'s on the pressure gauge, and the motor shuts off, then when the pressure goes back down, the pump comes back on, about 20#'s and resumes pumping water.

Maybe we need to get a new pressure tank for the OG (Old Guy)

Thanks again for all the good suggestions, they have been helpful.

Reply to
Saml

The well pump water system usually gets it's pressure by pumping water into the tank, all the while compressing the air cushion in the upper part of the tank. Water is relatively non-compressible. Pump works against air cushion and shuts off via the pressure switch. When pressure drops due to water usage, pump comes back on. 20 on, to 40 lbs off, is not abnormal, but I prefer it higher for my use. It is adjustable by removing the pressure switch cover, and making adjustments on cut-out, and cut-in. Instructions sometimes under the cover. Higher pressure rated switches are also sold. (ie, 30 to 50) Be conservative if the house piping is old. If no water is being used and the pump runs occasionally, there may be a leak in the upper part of the tank or fittings, above the water line, or a leak underground. Other leaks should be obvious. A pump that runs immediately each time you open a faucette and shut it off is likely "waterlogged", or has lost it's air cushion. This can be at least temporarily cured by shutting off the pump and venting and draining the tank down at least halfway, then restarting the pump. The air volume control may need replacing if the tank has no bladder, but instead has an air volume control on it's end side, about halfway up the tank.

Hope this helps RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Sam, my new well pump was pre-set to 20-40 lbs also. You can increase the cut-in point by turning clockwise the large bolt that is surrounded by a spring, usually right at the front of the pressure switch. On my pump, 1 turn is equal to 2psi. The range betweeen cut-in and cut-out should remain the same, 20 lbs.

Reply to
BobN

If the pressure is dropping on its own rather than from usage either the check valve isn't holding or there's another leak somewhere. If it's cycling at 20 to 40 during normal operation while water is in use, then all is well (so to speak) :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
Saml

Interesting times for sure!

thanks for the info on the Khan academy, video software etc. Always interesting reading and worth looking into.

Looks like spring might be early this year in NH - outside looks more like April than mid March.

So my goal this summer is to get Mitt Romney to stop by for a personal visit. We have a common friend and I thought I might try name dropping...

paul

Reply to
Paul Oman

Fascinating. But strange, no easily discernible contact info for Khan, or even feedback for the site.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Do you think somebody clicked the wrong send button?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Again. Same guy mistakenly posted about one of his customer's credit card transactions a month or so ago. hehe

Reply to
Mike

Security? What security? *snicker*

TDD