Under shower stall backerboard-- visquine?

I'm ready to tackle my new shower. Right now I've got 6 by stud walls and insulation (no sheetrock). I'm putting up 1/2 backerboard then tile. Do I need to put some sort of waterproof layer under the backerboard, such as plastic sheeting, or can the backerboard be screwed directly to the studs? I'm sure this has been addressed before, but-- any compelling reason to chose concrete backerboard over Hardiebacker?

Reply to
JimC622911

6X? Is that 2X6 studs?

There's not enough detail in your post to give you any specific advice. Stall shower? Tub shower? Plastic shower pan? Tile shower pan?

I will say this, you should at least have drywall behind the tile board to stiffen it and give it density. Tile does not flex well. If you bump into that flimsy wall between the studs you'll see what I mean.

Reply to
AnnG

you have got to be kidding me AnnG (drywall behind the tile board) and you have the nerve to correct others in here.

get back in the field and out from behind your desk!

well....duh!

just like walking on a floor where the backerboard does NOT land on a joist. right AnnG...................that's what I thought.

Reply to
Kitchens Inc.

OK, more detail: 2 by 6 studs-- this is an exterior wall. Plastic shower pan, no tile. Tile walls. Shower stall-- no tub.

Reply to
JimC622911

My comment regarding placing the stuff over drywall (for stiffness) stands. As for a vapor barrier? I recommend you find the mfger online and read their faq's or specs regarding that. But think about it. The stuff is bascially water proof or at the very least extremely water resistant so why would you need a vapor barrier behind it on an exterior wall? Because it's in a shower? What are you trying to protect?

No offense to you but unlike the novice we never use any of them for walls or countertops because we use mortar and in most instances set over freshly placed mortar to allow as nearly perfect as possible a level, plumb and even set, free of swales, rises, and lippage between pieces.

Reply to
AnnG

If it's an exterior wall, you should insulate and put some sort of vapor barrier to keep moisture from migrating toward the outside and damaging paint on the siding. I've used cement backer board (1/2") behind two shower stalls in my house, tiled over it, and it solid. This stuff is not flexible---especially when screwed down every six inches on a 16" center framing.

Honestly, drywall, then cement board is overkill.

Reply to
BKS

As a test, find a good spot between the studs, make a fist and pound the wall a few times. Well of course that's not normal use.

check this:

AnnG