TWO TREES DESTROYED OUR HOME IN 3 DAYS.

Hello. It's my first time posting, but long time viewing this newsgroup. Recently, my parent's home was destroyed by two huge trees in the course of 3 days. I've been trying to find ways to help my family, financially, emotionally, and also trying to figure out ways to get some of the repairs done ourselves. Instead of telling the whole long story, here's a link to an auction where I'm trying to raise funds for my parent's home. It tells the whole story.

I have a newspaper article posted on the webpage which tells the story. My question to anyone who might be interested... Do you know of who I can ask for financial assistance? I've contacted Habitat, Fema, Red Cross, Salvation Army, even Lowes, Menards, and Home Depot ... no one can help. I'm wondering if there's another organization I'm simply unaware of???

Thanks! ~Sherry

Reply to
SherryAE

Did they not have insurance cover for such disasters? You mentioned he earned quite good money at GM, so was he paying some premiums or just hoping it would never happen to him?

Reply to
Main Man

How about your local churches?

Reply to
Vic Dura

If you read the story you learn that insurance had lapsed due to medical bills. It's pretty compelling stuff. Brilliant way to raise small contributions for what sounds like a pretty hard luck story.

Provided it's all true and not a good social engineering plot of course.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Sounds like a better-than-average attempt at conning dumb asses out of their money, to me.

Reply to
Dan C

See 'Casting'. However: "Know that it takes up to SIX months to review an application and tape because we receive about

10,000 applications each week!"

Good luck!

--

  • TomH + antonomasia-at-canada-dot-com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

Also:

TomH

How many incomes in the household? Two? Three? I'm sorry for the difficulties, but there is nothing there that doesn't happen to a lot of people. First, put the medical bills on a budget, send letters to those who are owed money, stating a payment plan. Providers generally will work with folks when they will make regular payments.

In my area, an agency within welfare dept. can fund household repairs but when their annual limit is exceeded, that's it. We have a friend who cares for disabled parent and sibling; really tough situation. Had bad leaks in roof which he couldn't afford to repair. We looked at it and it didn't look bad. We know a good roofer, and arranged for him to check it out and give an estimate. Hubby and I had a deal with the roofer to give the owner a low figure, and we would pay without owner's knowledge. Roofer made repairs, gratis. You can probably find a contractor who is willing to work on a payment plan, if you cannot get disaster aid. Tried FEMA? City to remove trees? I would not invite strangers to come onto the property to cut more trees. Good way to lose your shirt.

Reply to
Norminn

Different, but not better than average. Much better con jobs floating all over the internet.

Reply to
Nick Hull