TV signal Amplifiers . What do u look for when buying one ?

Since you say "distant signals" I assume you are using a TV antenna, not a cable.

I don't think you'll successfully remove much of the "snow" from distant signals with an amplifier.

What they are good for is boosting up a cable signal which you are going to then split into several long runs throughout a building.

Just my .02, but you might consider buying one in the right place, trying it for a night, and returning it the next day for a refund if it doesn't help any.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Motorola has one thats 12 db. for $10 . Another brand is 20 db for $18. Theres a bunch of specs on the back of both..but i have no idea what they mean. When buying one, what do u want in one when price is really secondary ? Looking for a clearer picture from distant tv signals. Thanks .

Reply to
IbeDavid

Hi, How do you receive the signal, with external antenna array on a tower or little rabbit ears indoor? Signal amp. boost signal as well as noise level. Theory wise betwee 12db and 20db is very different since db is exponential expression. 3 db is 2 times. If I were you I'd improve antenna, if you must use amp, it better be mounted on the mast, not at the TV end. Power to the amp can be fed thru coax.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Also I hope what you're trying to receive is digital, because NTSC is scheduled to be turned off in Feb 2009. Not sure how much good an amp will do with ATSC, as it's digital and you either have a perfect picture or big break ups, not the usual snow, ghost, etc issues.

Reply to
trader4

Amplifiers for antennas only work when they are mounted at the antenna. Quality amps will be weather proofed and have an optional FM trap that can be switched in if you have a local FM station that could interfere with channel 6.

Amplifiers other than what is used on an antenna would only makes sense if you were going to split the signal multiple times.

12 db or 20db makes no difference. If 12db isn't enough then something is very very wrong in your set up.
Reply to
tnom

Digital by nature has more redundancy(via software, hardware). Signal format is signal is different (modulation method), it's still RF carrier.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It is really the antenna that determines performance on weak signals.

You need enough signal from the antenna to operate just one TV down inside the house.

A booster amplifier can compensate for splitting the antenna signal cable run into extra cable runs to more locations - as in more TV's than just the one.

Ross

Reply to
RMD

Yes, it's still RF. But my main point was that if he's trying to improve an analog signal, it may not be worth the trouble as it's going to be gone in a year. I'd be figuring out how to transition to ATSC first, as that may solve his problem. The reception conditions he has for digital may be different.

Reply to
trader4

Amplifiers and antennas are not smart enough to distinguish between analog and digital signals.

Reply to
tnom

In theory but in practice you get to much attenuation and noise introduction from the transmission line. An amplifier mounted at the pre-noise source (antenna) goes a long way in nullifying these negative factors.

Reply to
tnom

REPLY: Everyeone, Thanks. ITs a crankup outdoor roof mounted Wineguard Antennae on my RV for VHF tv stations. Inside, there is a red button which i press that feeds 12 vdc power into the coax cable ...so....i assume THIS is the amp which came with the unit (??). How can i pull in weak signals, better, with what i have ? Thanks, Dave.

Reply to
IbeDavid

You miss the point. In a year the analog will be gone and with ATSC his reception right now may be fine WITHOUT needing an AMP. Anyone screwing around with improving NTSC reception should take that into account.

Reply to
trader4

In order of benefit. Get a taller antenna. Get a bigger antenna.

Reply to
tnom

nope, if your analog sucks, so will your digital If you get a viewable analog signal clear to slightly snowy, it will be good enough for a digital signal. If you get an unwatchable analog signal, your digital will blink out or not lock up

I use a remote style, amp is out at antenna with a plug in box closer to the tv, works great

Reply to
yourname

You miss the point. With a distant weak broadcast that shows much snow but is still viewable in NTSC his ability to receive that same weak broadcast in ATSC will be less. ATSC will work with a lower signal to noise ratio than NTSC but it has a minimum requirement before it suddenly stops working. NTSC is different. It slowly fades into snow.

Reply to
tnom

It probably won't, since to be affective an amplifier needs to be installed at a point where the signal is clean.

Yes, where the amp comes BEFORE the signal loss. I do use one in my cable distribution system. It's fed from a good cable TV signal and is to compensate for the loss caused by having several loads. It would not help if I had a noisy signal coming in.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

An amplifier could help with loss in a long lead in, if placed right next to the antenna (they make amps for this, that get power through the coax). An amplifier WILL NOT clear up an already noisy signal. You may need a better (or at least properly placed) antenna.

The situation is complicated, and the amp MAY still help a little. You could try one that can be returned to the store. Antenna aiming is more likely to help.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Don't expect the amp to help much. Are you sure the antenna is aimed the best it can be?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Note that if you're having problems, it could be caused by a too-strong signal rather than a too-weak one. Then, you need to remove an amp or add an attenuator (Radio Shack may still sell those, as well as amps).

BTW, a difference of 3db is a 2:1 power ratio.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Although the signal does need to be of adequate quality. If you can not get a decent picture on a single TV located at the antenna, no amount of amplification will help.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd