TV conversion question? ? ?

I think you should go look for yourself. It will take your mind off of your sniveing and whining about how unfair the world has been to you.

Reply to
salty

Oh Oh, Free! Free! Thats right up your tight-ass ransley. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

e:

on't get a

I stopped by Walmart and Target this afternoon to check out if they had any TVs without a digital ATSC tuner and here's the results. Target did have the Truetech 13" that was discussed in this thread. I saw one in the box and on the box description, which is brief, there is no mention of DTV or an ATSC tuner or any tuner at all for that matter. Two salespeople were standing right there and I asked them if it had a digital compatible tuner. The immediate response was "All our TVs have digital tuners" However, given the fact that it is not listed on the box and on the website it says that particular TV does not have a digital tuner, I'm inclined to think that it probably does not and the salepeople don;'t know what they are talking about. The Truetech appears to be Target's house brand and is built in Thailand.

At Walmart, every TV, including the cheapest Polaroid 15" did have a digital tuner. There were no NTSC only units.

So, it appears that if that Target TV is in fact NTSC only, then it is in violation of the law, at least on one key point. And that is that if they are selling any such TVs at this late date, then they must be marked with the required FCC statement that they lack the digital tuner and a converter will be required. That was clearly not displayed, nor was it on the box. I would also think that the law may have been violated regarding importing them, shipping them interstate, etc, as I find it hard to believe these TVs have been in all the various Target stores for almost 2 years now.

Reply to
trader4

So, did you buy it?

Reply to
salty

from fcc documents

2008-

it's not illegal, but it can be expensive selling ntsc sets-

under "Cit" there's a long list of retailers that were given citations for violating the analog set rule -

2007-

fcc advisory, retailing atsc/ntsc sets, dated may 25 2007 -

under "Cit" there's a long list of retailers that were given citations for violating the analog set rule -
under NAL (fines) here's a funny, the FCC couldn't find the radio station's studio.-

larry

Truly the FCC should of set a drop dead rate for production of sets allowing sales of existing inventory for 2 years and TEN YEARS before turning off analog.......

why hurry it so, if digital is truly so good people would voluntarily migrate.

rather than politicians forcing the issue

Reply to
hallerb

The Republicans were still causing problems in the Congress then.

Conservatives are so damn slow learners.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

People who refuse to offer links especially after being asked nicely are just lazy SOBs.

Ignore him.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Big Business wants our spectrum...I mean their spectrum.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Considering the fare on network TV, I suspect "business" can put it to better use.

As I understand it, a big (biggest?) hunk goes for governmental use - emergency responders and the like. A goodly portion does go to folks like Verizon - emailing camera phone snaps of dogs humping uses a lot of bandwidth.

Reply to
HeyBub

I agree that "Walmart" has become synonymous with retailing in America*, but to distinguish the company itself from a generic retailer, perhaps you should observe the Xerox convention: A captial initial letter indicates the company and a lower-case letter implies the concept.

Do that one thing, and I bet the number of people claiming you are a twit diminishes by at least ten percent.

--------

  • A goodly part of America, but not all. There are no Walmart stores in New York City, D.C., Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle, Jersey City, or Ann Arbor. There's one in Los Angeles and two in Philadelphia (the same number as in Sioux Falls, SD).
Reply to
HeyBub

What can you expect from a company that hates the Salvation Army bell-ringers?

Reply to
HeyBub

:

rote:

:

oomed whenever

e won't get a

d also require

No, I'm waiting for the mythical one, without any link, to appear at Walmart that you told us so much about.

Reply to
trader4

There is absolutely nothing you can do to reduce the number of people who think YOU are a twit.

Reply to
salty

won't get a

What a little crybaby

Reply to
salty

I understand most went to verizon for added cell phone use

all parties involved should disclose exactly who bought the spectrum, whats its future use will be, its develpoment schedule, and dollars involved.

it was public use spectrum, the public should be fully informed.

Reply to
hallerb

More agreement. 'Tis the "White Man's Burden.' But I (and others) must soldier on. It's not my choice, I was born to the manor, sort of a noblesse oblige.

You'll thank me when you get older.

Reply to
HeyBub

It's posted daily on the

page- look for 700 MHz licenses. The public service issue was a smoke screen to get the auctions approved. I think you will find pubsvc licenses will be a small part of the bandwidth. mobile/portable video and wifi broadband will be a hugh revenue stream for the private sector.

recent licenses-

I. INTRODUCTION

  1. In this Order, we review the above-referenced Auction 73 Form 601 application of AT&T Mobility Spectrum, LLC (?AT&T Mobility?) and find that the public interest would be served if the application is granted. We therefore direct the Mobility Division of the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau (?Bureau?) to process the application consistent with this Order and the Commission?s rules. II. BACKGROUND A. Auction 73
  2. Auction 73 offered 1,099 licenses in the 700 MHz band, involving a total of 62 megahertz located in the 698-806 MHz spectrum. The 700 MHz band licenses may be used for flexible fixed, mobile, and broadcast uses, including fixed and mobile wireless commercial services; fixed and mobile wireless uses for private, internal radio needs; and mobile and other digital new broadcast operations. These uses may include two-way interactive, cellular, and mobile television broadcasting services. The licenses offered in Auction 73 included: 176 Economic Area (?EA?) licenses (12 megahertz each) in the A Block; 734 Cellular Market Area (?CMA?) licenses (12 megahertz each) in the B Block; 176 EA licenses (6 megahertz each) in the E Block;
12 Regional Economic Area Grouping (?REAG?) licenses (22 megahertz each) in the C Block; and one nationwide license of 10 megahertz, to be used as part of the 700 MHz Public/Private Partnership, in the D Block.

or

11/26/2008 PUBLIC NOTICE (DA 08-2572) WTB Grants 700 MHz Band Licenses pdf - Word Attachment A: pdf - xls Attachment A1: pdf - xls Attachment B: pdf - Word Attachment C: pdf - Word Attachment D: pdf - Word

a few solar panels on the roof and you can be totally free of all grids. everything will be wireless to your house ;-)

-- larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

I thought I read on one of the consumer websites recently that manufacturers and retailers are sometimes getting around that by calling them HDTV "monitors" instead of "receivers" - basically selling a TV without an ATSC tuner as a "monitor".

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

larry wrote in news:BtKhl.6176$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com:

has anyone actually TRIED to use a expired coupon?

BTW,the Digital Prism is clearly marked "ATSC Television" right on the front of the TV. CVS has them on sale for $100.

Reply to
Jim Yanik