Tub to shower

I'm redoing my bathroom and installing a retrofit shower where the tub was. I had a plumber remove the old plumbing and install and plumb the base (cemented in) for me.

Problem is now one wall doesn't line up when I installed the cement board. The 1/2" material fits 'behind' the shower base lip on one of 3 sides and the other 2 sides are ok.

I'm not going to ask the plumber to redo as it is cemented in. But it is pushed to one side too much.

So, is there a trick I can use to make this look professional. The one side that falls behind the shower lines up with the rest of the drywall in the bathroom.

I purchased 1/4 inch cement backer board thinking I'd tack that on top of the 1/2 so it'll line up with the shower pan and it does. But is there a better way? The extra 1/4 will not, of course line up flush with the drywall in the rest of the bathroom and it sticks out like a sore thumb.. Thanks for any help..

Reply to
N O

Maybe...

  1. Remove that cement board

  1. Cut off a 1 1/2" x 1/4" strip from a pressure treated 2x4 (or other source/type of rot resistant material)

  2. Afix it across the studs at the bottom of the "bad" wall

  1. Mix up some thinset...watery enough to be plastic but not so much that it slumps a lot

  2. Slather a layer of thinset along the edge of each stud, top to bottom

  1. Put back cement board fastening to each stud at top and bottom only. Clean off any thinset squeeze out.

  2. After a couple of days, fasten the field area of the cement board as well as the two vertical edges.

That would give you a slightly sloping wall but it will line up. When tiling, do the "good" walls first so that the edge of their tiles at the intersection of the "bad" wall will be covered when you tile the "bad" wall; that way, the grout line will be nice and neat instead of (possibly) ragged due to having to precisely cut each "good" wall tile to accomodate the slope.

Reply to
dadiOH