Treadmill problem

I'm thinking of getting this treadmill, but he says you can't adjust the motor speed. Do you think it would be easy to fix? Could I just hard wire the motor to run at a certain speed?

Michael Shaffer

yeah sure, just wire it to 220 and get on

Reply to
chickenwing

Not likely... Modern treadmills have DC motors that operate from modulated power supplies. An electronic tach instantly senses the motor speed and the electronic logic decides whether to apply more power or not.

There is a big difference between operating loaded and unloaded and the lack of speed regulation might be just enough to be dangerous.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

No experience. Hard to tell from here.

Guessing, It probably does run at a constant speed but if it isnt' meant to, if you have to ask you probably can't do it.

Or, maybe because it is so expensive the motor runs at variable speed. On a cheaper one, they would use some continuous transmission to vary speed, right?

I found one in the trash a month ago, don't know what brand but it was nice, It was there for 15 hours, but when I went to get it at 16 hours it was gone. The other guy is more likey to actually exercise than I am.

mm

No, I doubt if you could just "wire" it for a certain speed. What you might be able to do is to repair it, replacing the defective part. I suspect that you may have problems finding the parts however. Before you consider buying this see if you can contact the manufacturer and see if they can supply parts to this older model treadmill.

I think I would pass on it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have a new Landice, and they are heavy. You might want to figure out how you plan on getting it to the spot you want first.

I doubt they will seel you replacement parts, but you can try. THe Landice I have has a lifetime warranty on all parts, but only one year on labor. When I had recurring problems with a new unit I got the store owner to raise it to three years.

The new one is problem free so far.

The motor most likely works on a pulse modulated power, meaning that electronics vary the speed, not a simple raising or lowering of the voltage.

Reply to
FDR

Last treadmill I worked on needed a new motor. I got pricing for it and called the customer. They bought a new one.

I certainly would not purchase a treadmill that was single speed.

Reply to
SQLit

What you really have to ask yourself is if it reasonable to fix, why doesn't the current owner fix it himself and get the higher price for it.

No a good purchase here.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

oh come'on, where's your sense of fun I was hoping they would try it

(of course if you think about it, I don't know how they would plug that

110 plug into a 220 socket)
Reply to
chickenwing

when I was a kid, I took a pocket football game (where the players are just dots)...

my batteries ran out, i cut the chord from a lamp, and straight wired

110 to the 9 volt battery wires...it was a fine wiring job.

when I plugged it in...it ran superfast for about 10 seconds...then it fried

Reply to
chickenwing