tray table

My wife picked up some tray serving tables at a good price. While the tables are great ,they are finished with a black surface that looks like paint. Can I use poly over the tops to protect them from scratching etc. I hate to have to strip and sand a cheap wood product. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Sure. But to make sure you get adhesion first give them a rubbing with some 400 or finer grit sandpaper to give the poly something to grab on to (go easy on the edges or you will cut through the color layer). Dust them off with a vacuum and tack cloth after rubbing it. I like the water-based poly myself, but oil should be fine too. You could take a chance without sanding first but that can be hit or miss depending on the existing finish.

Reply to
RickH