Travertine questions

My travertine guy has gone missing in action. He did down the middle of a couple of areas, and has 45 18" squares on pattern and level. I have about

150 left.

Question - Would you finish the job yourself, or would you hire it done. I can't get anyone to show up to look at it, or like this guy, they won't finish it once I give them the go ahead.

I know it isn't a simple thing, but I can also see it isn't rocket surgery either. Lots of grout, sand the edges, level and flush each tile, put in spacers. I am mechanically inclined, have built lots of things, and once contracted my own 3,000sf house. I think I can do this and save $3k.

What say ye?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You have 150 pieces left? And the job cost was $3,000? That's $20 per tile (or $15.38 if the $3000 was for the 150 left plus the 45 already laid). Either way, I'd say you got took.

Finish it yourself? I would...in a heart beat.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Sorry, brain fart. 850sf, 377 18 x 18 tiles ...............

The good news is that I never gave the guy a dime except for the $200 in grout and materials I posess. He wanted half when he got 100 sf of the 850 laid, and I said no way. I would pay him for what he got done, and not pay in advance. Originally, I got prices for from $3.25 to $5 per sf for 850 sf of tile, labor only. I paid for the tile myself, and have it in my garage. I even have the tile saw and tools the guy left.

I didn't come out on top by getting a good installation, but I didn't lose out by paying up front, either.

I mentioned that I could save $3k because that is what it would cost me to have someone finish the job. That is if I could get a guy that would come look at it. And then show up. And then finish the job. So far, we have about four experienced people who will help, and between us all, I think we can handle it by having the sum total of one brain between us.

It reminds me of my two bald Polish uncles. They would get drunk at parties, put their heads together, and make an ass of themselves.

Steve, who's off for more acrylic ....................................

Reply to
SteveB