Trane furnace radio/TV interference

Turn off your wireless internet router and see if the problem goes away. If so then you need to insulate the wire bundle to the inducer motor.

Reply to
Al Moran

Radio Shack sells Feriite-magnetic chokes, for maybe 3$. They are the round things you often see on your computer cables and power supplies. They absorb stray RF. They just snap together around a wire. Get a few and try it, its cheap and worth a try. Sheilding can be tried but I believe need to be grounded somehow.

I dought a fix may be complete, for this issue file in small claims now, it will be cooling season before you are heard. Filing will wake everyone up to give it effort this month.

Reply to
m Ransley

I'm pleased to report that installation of the shielded cable between the draft inducer motor and the control board reduced the radio interference to an acceptable level. Measurements indicate that the amplitude of the noise is reduced by approximately 20dB. The noise can now only be heard when my walkman is within 2 feet of the furnace. Interference on 14MHz is reduced below my ambient noise level from natural sources.

For all interested, the "shielded cable kit" is part number KIT09682. It is specifically designed for the following furnace models: UY-W4, DY-W4, UX-R-W3, and DX-R-W3. Note that the shielded cable has a ground lead on each end. For effective noise suppression it is essential that each ground lead be connected to the points specified by the instructions.

modelman wrote:

Reply to
modelman

Glad to hear that it helped your interference problem. I'm in the process of getting my local dealer to acquire and install the shielded cable kit.

modelman wrote:

Reply to
Zibs

modelman, Thanks so much for following up. I am curious about the furnace models you wrote above because they only have 4-5 characters. My furnace model number is AUY060R9V3W5 and other AUY/TUY model numbers are similar. Does the W4 in UY-W4 refer to the last two characters of the model number? I believe the last digit is a revision number but am not sure. I have the same exact symptoms so I am curious if that kit would also apply to me. I've queried the factory, but no response thus far.

Thanks!

Reply to
BT

I just had this shielded cable kit installed on my Trane XV90. Unfortunately, it did not improve the RF interference problem and actually might have made it worse. On 14 MHz my S-meter jumps from 0-1 to S9 when the inducer blower turns on.

modelman wrote:

Reply to
Zibs