Trading Spaces: Home Free Episode

Anyone know how they attached the tree limb to the wall?

Reply to
Suzie-Q

It was a limb from one of them rare Styrofoam trees.

But they did a great job of faking it. I was only 1/2way paying attention, but I think they attached it to a plate slightly bigger than the end, then screwed that to the wall. I *did* see them building it up with joint compound to conceal the plate.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Suzie-Q wrote in news:sme617x- snipped-for-privacy@news5.west.earthlink.net:

They didn't show anything, but it wouldn't be too hard. The "tree" was made of styrofoam, and therefore quite light. Probably a few finish nails sticking out of the wall to stick into the styrofoam, and any glue of your choice (it should be gap filling).

Reply to
Murray Peterson

Ahhh, so you know I wasn't paying attention! I didn't realize it wasn't real. I'll have to watch the episode again when it comes back on and see what they were doing. I really liked how it looked. And I have plenty of real limbs that I could use!

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the limb on the show was horribly out of scale. A real limb that started out that thick would have been 15 or 20 feet long at least. It was a decoration. A real limb would not work nearly as well for a number of reasons. Plus, you really don't want a real branch, with bark still on it, inside a house.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

The cats would love it!

Reply to
Suzie-Q

So would the termites, spiders, and other critters that live under the bark of dead branches!

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

We looked at an old (200 years) fixer upper. The beams in the basement were all made from trees with the bark still on. The place was too much of a fixer upper for us. There was a tiny 2-lb dog there, that when we entered the kitchen, the dog was jumping up and down and the whole kitchen was shaking.

Reply to
John P Reber